Chapter 9- Jealousy and Cake

Start from the beginning

"Good morning, Coach!" Joanna turns after setting the bar on the rack, face glowing and breathless. "How was breakfast with Obie?"

On the verge of exploding, I close my gaping mouth, pausing to collect myself. "I...It...It was fine. Good. Great. He loves chocolate chip pancakes," I state, absentmindedly.

She smiles again. "With whip cream?" My eyes linger on the way she licks her lips. Is she doing that on purpose?

"Because that's how I eat chocolate chip pancakes."

I nod my head. "Yes...he does too."

"Oli and I wanted to give him something. Hope that's okay? If not, she'll just keep it." She laughs, beckoning Oli over.

Oli approaches us with a small travel size cooler. "Coach, I'm going to choose not to take you ignoring me earlier personally."

"When did he ignore you?" Joanna asks, looking between us.

"I didn't ignore you." My grunt was an acknowledgement.

Oli scoffs. "Pfft. Yeah, okay. Anyways, we got Obie something. Now, it's not for everyone. It's either a you love it or hate it type of thing." She sets the cooler down and opens it, pulling out a small clear food container with what looks like cake. There's a thick layer of cream-like frosting topped with peaches, strawberries and flakes of chocolate.

"It's a tres leches cake." Joanna announces. "Have you had it before?"

I shake my head, continuing to observe it. "Is that milk at the bottom?"

"Tres leches, literally translates to three milks," Oli says and Joanna nods.

"It's a sponge-like cake and yes it is soaked in three different milks. It's so good! Maybe Obie will share some with you." Joanna grins at me.

"Thank you—both of you. That was really nice of you ladies to think of him. I'm sure he'll love it."

"Make a video of him taking his first bite." Oli demands. "Then send it to me. I want to make sure you don't eat it before he gets a chance."

I roll my eyes, but the corner of my mouth lifts despite my efforts to not smile. "Sure. So, what's left of your workout?"

"I've got RDL's and goblet squats," Oli responds.

"I have two sets left of weighted squats and then walking lunges," Joanna says.

"Alright, get to it, I'll be right back. I'm going to put this in the fridge." They nod and start to turn away, but I set the cake down on a bench next to me. "Joanna."

She turns around, approaching with her hands on her hips. "Yes, Coach?"

I take my zip up jacket off. "Put this on."

"Excuse me?" She crosses her arms.

"I noticed your group of fans earlier."

"Fans? Are you serious?" Her cheeks flame matching the fire in her eyes. "Who do you—"

I swing the jacket around her, tying the sleeves at her waist, bringing her closer to me with each tug. She gasps, uncrossing her arms, her mouth parting when I lean in. "Your leggings are completely see through. And frankly, I can't blame them for enjoying the view. But..." I pull on the sleeves again, her soft breath taunts my lips. "Unless you want me to send several men who have been loyal customers for years to the hospital, don't take this off until you're finished."

Her large brown eyes look straight into mine and then she blinks with her soft reply. "Yes, Coach."

"Good, girl." Satisfied, I turn away, picking up the cake and head to the office with a smile on my face.