14. Performance Anixety

Comenzar desde el principio

"Ready when you are, Cap." Chim said to us as he took his slice of cake.

"All right, now I'm starting to panic. I never know what to say when he asks that." Eddie said and I just changed the subject.

"That's why I change the subject." I said to them all with a smile.

"I'm just gonna tell him that the captains truck is always clean." Hen said to us and that's sounded like what she said last year. He'd know.

"Oh, you did that last year." Chim said to us all and I looked at him. He was so happy with that cake.

"Has anyone complimented him on his super-organized storage cubby?" Buck asked and I shook my head. I definitely hadn't done that.

"Twice." Eddie said, he looked a million miles away.

"Wow, you guys sound pretty desperate." Chim said he definitely wasn't sounding desperate and I wasn't either.

"Clearly, you are not." Eddie said while looking at him.

"What's the secret?" I asked him and he looked at me, I wanted to know if we had the same one.

"I submit that what you are all truly nervous about is the review itself. These things don't concern me. I was here before all of you. I was here before Cap, and I will be here when everyone is gone. Although Little Nash might be my competitor." Chim said and I looked at him.

"You're stuck with me whether you like it or not." I said to him with a smile, I definitely wasn't leaving anytime soon.

"Oh, you mean like a cockroach. Pass me a plate." Hen said and we all went down the table line passing her a plate.

"I'm simply stating the facts. I can't help it if I am a fully actualized human being and firefighter." Chim said to us making us smile. It felt like off the next shift. Chim was at the academy. For 'leadership' skills apparently. I was now nervous for my one. Thankfully we were pulled to a call before that. The EMT gods had answered my prayers.

"LAFD." Dad said once we walked into the bakery.

"She's over here. I shut off the machine as quickly as I could, but I'm afraid it's too late. She's still unconscious." The lady said to us as soon as we entered. We started following her.

"LAFD, make some room. Ma'am?" Dad asked as we got over to the machine. Blood in the dough with her arm stuck in it. This wasn't looking too good. She was faced down in it as well.

"What's her name?" Hen asked her and I looked at the crowd of workers.

"Reyna. Please help her." The lady said to us and I looked at her.

"We will." I said to her with a reassuring smile.

"She's breathing but her pulse is racing. I'll start oxygen. Eddie, you run a line wide open." Hen said to us all and I looked at her, this lady needed her head out of the dough.

"Copy." He said to her.

"Okay, we're gonna have to take this thing apart to get that wand out. Buck?" Dad asked, I take it this job was too heavy for me.

"Ready to go, Cap." Buck said to him and handed him what he needed. I then started getting the lady's head out of the dough but very carefully.

"Okay, you ready? One, two, three." Dad said as the took the cover off. Eddie was checking out Reyna's arm.

"I've got no pulse in her right hand." Eddie said to us and I looked at the position it was in. It definitely didn't come to a surprise.

"I wouldn't expect it. I'm seeing a full separation here." Hen said and this definitely wasn't looking too good for her.