Chapter 77. In the Eyes of the Noble

Start from the beginning

All of a sudden, Lucilline shook himself mentally. No, don't make them feel self-aware.

He took a deep breath. Gently, he reached out a hand, stripping off his black gloves. Lucilline handed his hand—bare and naked—to the little girl. His golden eyes resembled the sunlight's blossoming smile, as if a new spring has arrived to split the ice apart and welcome the dawn. "My name is Lucilline Rubius." A gentleman must start with introductions.

He gently hummed, "Would you like to serve under me?"

The servants behind him could not suppress their shocked faces. A HOMELESS GIRL SERVING THE YOUNG MASTER!?! How could that be!!! They inhaled a cold rush of air. What exactly does the Young Master see in such a dirty commoner?

The little girl faltered.

Nevertheless, she took that warm hand reaching for her.

Lucilline coughed, helping the little girl onto her feet. He flashed a gaze behind, meeting the two servants' sight head-on. "Get us a carriage. Right now."

His behaviour appeared rather foolish for a five-year-old, but the servants did not dare to dismiss it.

At last, the servants rented a ride for the two children. Lucilline helped the little girl inside the carriage, while the two servants sat outside with the driver. Gradually, the horses strolled forwards, and the wheels caressed the cobblestone pathway like paddles to an ocean's current.

It did not take long for Lucilline to fall asleep.

His small body dozed off quickly due to his long walk outside.

Meanwhile, the little girl thrashed like a flapping fish without water. Her body scrambled, her limbs scrunched up and out of shape. "...kill..." a murderous voice echoed out from underneath her cracked lips. Her amethyst eyes shone dangerously. "...I need to... I need to..."

She woke up.

Her gaze was torn in haywire, and veins popped from beneath her wrists. Little did anyone know, inside that small and frail body was the strength of a beast. In order to live, I need to kill him-

Lucilline frowned, disturbed by the movement beside him.

He shuffled around, and his small hands fell over a pair of rough calloused ones. Despite the rough feeling, Lucilline did not care and patted it comfortably.

Slowly, the shuffling by his side ceased.

When Lucilline woke up, he found himself greeted by the red and puffy eyes of the little girl. He was puzzled, "Did something happen?"

The little girl shook her head.

"Ah, by the way, do you have a name?" Lucilline pondered.

He watched in disappointment, as the little girl opened her voice, but no voice escaped. Only small cracks managed to flee from the shackles. As she realized the loss of her voice, the little girl's body began to tremble, as if an earthquake quaked within her veins.

"It's fine," Lucilline quickly dismissed it, "When we get back to the residence, you can drink some water. I'm sure that your voice will recover!"