Chapter 77. In the Eyes of the Noble

Start from the beginning

The bustling streets of the Capital City wowed Lucilline.

His small and petite body was a large contrast compared to the tall and thin adults. Lucilline's black waistcoat fit him snuggly, while his white collar was buttoned up neatly. Everything about him screamed "nobility", and the discreet butlers keeping an eye on him warned the passerby's—this kid was someone they couldn't dare to mess with.

The adults scrambled past him, their waist-length dresses skirting to the cobblestone ground, and their heels echoing past the horses' hooves.

Lucilline's gaze was attracted by all the porcelain goods.

His tiny little smile made the shopkeepers wave back in good nature.

All of a sudden, Lucilline stopped on the spot.

Behind him, the servants who followed in secret were puzzled as well. "Why is the Young Master stopping?" One of the two whispered in a hushed voice, while the other one shrugged.

"Hmm? What is this?" Lucilline hummed to himself. His voice was soft like molding clay, and his curious brows furrowed.

Laid across his feet was a dirty girl. She appeared to be drifting in and out of consciousness, resembling a frail boat confronting the mighty creatures of the ocean. Her pale face was smeared with dirt, and a horrendous scent oozed from her body. Lucilline noticed her thin-like-twigs limbs, as if they could snap if he wasn't careful enough.

Her clothes were of poor rags, barely covering her torso. The little girl's locks of hair were long and curly, but they'd been stained with dust, leaving behind a colour of olden grey.

Lucilline noticed the unpleasant looks which nobles shot the girl.

Their gazes were prickly needles, stabbing straight into him. His skin itched, and a sharp pain pulsed through his body. Lucilline remembered what his mother told him. "You'll know when there is a homeless person. The eyes that the nobles have when they see one—well, it isn't pleasant."

Lucilline understood.

Those disdainful eyes looked at the little girl as if she was a rat, but the nobles quickly averted their gazes. They acted as if they didn't see the poor girl, and continued flaunting the diamond necklace strung across their noble neck.

Lucilline's throat constricted—he could hardly breathe.

How could they be like this?

His gaze fell back unto the little girl. If no one will help, then I will.

His mother; Rachelle Rubius; was one of the most prestigious woman in Lydia Kingdom. She upheld a strong sense of justice, and never allowed the commoners to be trampled by the nobles, despite being a noble herself.

Like mother like son—thus, Lucilline crouched down to the dirty little girl.

"Hey, can you hear me?" His voice seemed to snap the little girl awake. Her eyes were a gorgeous colour of amethyst purple—though her body was stained in a foul smell, beneath was a whole treasure un-mined. Gradually, the little girl came to.

She struggled to lift herself up the cobblestone ground.

Lucilline noticed the ugly scarring purple bruises across her forearm. They burned like a forest fire, ashes sooting across cracked porcelain. "You're injured." He subconsciously gasped.