Chapter 14

Alora
Five minutes earlier

When my parents left to meet old friends for dinner, I had locked every door, every window. Almost. I realize my mistake now, during the same moment I hear the faint squeak of the window in my parents bedroom opening.

Just to be sure, I take off my headphones, hitting the stop button on my MP3 player, glancing at my dog, Scarlet. Her ears are perked, and I calculate what the probability is that it was my imagination, my paranoia. But the sound of footsteps on the hardwood floor is unmistakable.

Scarlet looks at me, her head tilted, as if she was thinking the same thing. What should I do? I don't have to ask the question, who is it?, because that is not a mystery. They are here, in my house, with me, and I am alone. I'm going to die. And that is something I definitely don't want to do.

I glimpse out the window, at the sky that is perfectly blue, at the bike track in the dirt that leads around to the back of my house. The track that I didn't leave. At least it's confirmed I'm not hearing things, or delusional. At least I won't die in the dark.

"I'm not going to die." I whisper to myself firmly, tip-toeing to my bed where Scarlet lay curled up. As hushed as I can, I unclip her collar, setting it within the folds of my blanket to ensure it wouldn't jingle, scooting her off the bed.

She immediately begins pacing in circles. I take even more breaths to prevent further panic, hoisting her up into my arms with the little strength I can muster. As I saunter out of my room, I debate where the best place to hide is. Peering around the corner where the stairs are, I whip back around when I see the flash of movement, the wisp of dark hair.

It could have been brown or black. Tucking that piece of knowledge in the back of my mind, I dash for what used to be my sisters room before she left for college, praying I didn't sound as loud as I believe I was.

I perceive the slam of doors opening and closing downstairs, presumably the killer looking for where I could be hiding. Time is running out. Rotating in the middle of the abandoned room, I soak in the various places I could conceal myself.

In the closet? Even I know that's too obvious, and too small, not only for me but for Scarlet too, who's beginning to squirm in my grasp. Under her pile of stuffed animals? But one wrong move and the whole pile falls down.

Remembering the abnormally large storage chest she had tucked at the foot of the bed, I make my way over there, first dumping the dog in, then climbing in myself. I don't close the lid fully, allowing a crack of light and oxygen to seep through, waiting for my eyes to adjust.

The echo of someone trodding up stairs reaches my ears, however, it's too hollow and distant to be the steps to upstairs. The basement. I've never been so grateful for the dusty, spider-infested basement before in my life.

Seizing my small opening of opportunity, I dial Sam's number, turning down my volume almost to zero. It rings several times before she picks up, only it's not Sam.

"Hello?" Theo asks, and I hear a car blinker being flicked on in the background.

"The killer is in my house." I hiss through my teeth in an attempt to not make much noise.

"What? Hold on, I'm putting you on speaker phone." Theo replies to my muffled speech, I silently beg him to hurry up, my legs are falling asleep. If it comes down to it, it's going to be really hard to run if my legs are asleep.

"They're here." I let myself pronounce it louder this time, staring out the small crack of light. "The killer is in my house." I hear the car slowly speed up.