xi. | i'm coming back to haunt both your asses

Zacznij od początku

"Technically, I'm not supposed to have a copy of this," he set the box down on the desk that sat at the corner of the room. The man pulled out a file, opening it and leafing through the pages. "Ah." He showed the picture of the mirror with the handprint and 'T-R-E' on it. "See, that there," he pointed to letters on the mirror, "T-R-E?"

"Yeah," Dean answered.

"I think Mary was trying to spell out the name of her killer," the detective stated.

"Do you know who it was?" Sam asked.

"Not for sure, but there was a local man. A surgeon. Trevor Sampson. And I think he cut her up good."

"The question here is: why would he do something like that?" Emery asked. "Goddamn psychopaths."

"A diary mentioned a man that she was seeing. She called him by his initial T. Well, her last entry, she was going to tell T's wife about their affair."

"So, how do you know that it was this guy Sampson who killed her?" Dean asked, looking at the man.

"It's hard to say. But, like the girl said, the way her eyes were cut out, it was almost professional."

"But you could never prove it," Dean stated, nodding along with Emery.

"No. No prints. No witnesses. I mean, it was meticulous."

"Is he still alive?" Emery asked, looking at the picture of the guy on the desk. She almost scoffed. He looked like a douche.

"Nope. If you ask me, Mary spent her last living moments trying to expose this guy's secret. But, she never could."

"Where's she buried?" Sam asked bluntly, the man not questioning.

He probably thought they were going to go pay their respects to her. "She wasn't. She was cremated."

Son of a bitch, Emery thought.

"How about that mirror? It's not in some evidence lock up, is it?" Dean asked.

"Um... no. It was returned to Mary's family a long time ago."

"Do you have the names of her family, by any chance?" Sam asked.

☪✡

They were driving back to Toledo, Emery finishing the chapter, ignoring the boys' talk about Mary. Then, suddenly, it hits her.

This has been the first case since Sam has come back that she hasn't know right away what dark, evil thing they were facing. Maybe this means whatever is happening to her will stop.

Emery's ringtone snaps her out of her happy thoughts, the girl picking it up without a second thought. "Hello!"

A flurry of words come from the speaker of the phone, Emery's mood doing a one eighty. The blonde teenager was sobbing and Emery couldn't make out a single word she was saying.

"Charlie? Calm down and tell me what happened," Emery soothed.

Charlie took a deep breath as Emery met Dean's eyes in the rearview mirror. Then the teenager started telling Emery the story. Once finished, Emery ran a hand down her face. "Fuck!"

Dean took that as a cew to speed up and they were now soaring down the road.

They got back to the hotel room with Charlie after speeding down the highway. Sam and Dean were covering up every reflective surface while Emery was hugging the blonde girl, trying to calm her down, but also hide her view from the surfaces.

Charlie was shaking in her arms, probably from the fear. Emery couldn't help but rub the girl's back soothingly.

"It's okay, Charlie," Emery whispered, motioning to the screen that wasn't covered. "It's safe to look, you can come out now. Charlie, it's alright."