Chapter 15: The Race

After the results and when Doc stopped coughing and returned back to normal, we both worked together to get everyone outside of Doc's garage and he came out with his Piston Cups and news articles. That's when he started to tell the truth. Lightning was right all along that he is a racing legend like Y/N. He started to tell his backstory and how he wanted to live a normal life after the crash in 1954 and that's why he traveled a long way up until he encountered this town. He also told that the reason why he wanted Lightning fast go was because of his past that he must face again but if it wasn't for Lightning, he wouldn't race ever again. Finally, everyone understood the reason and even accepted the apology of Doc. 

"I... also must tell something," I began and everyone faced me, with Doc standing my by side. "I have lung cancer and recently got diagnosed with it. I have 10 or more years to live, which makes me lucky."

C/N then ran to hug me, causing everyone to feel touched by the moment that a human child was hugging me. I immediately hugged her back and rubbed her back. I then felt wet tears on my clothes, causing me to shush her. "Hey, kid. I have still long years to live. Do not worry."

C/N pulled away with tears in her eyes from crying. "B-But you're dying!"

I stroked her face, causing her to relax under my touch, and Doc seemed to smile. She is a perfect mother, he thought inside his head. Yes, he didn't have kids of his own since he didn't find true love in his younger years but upon my arrival, he wanted a family. He needs to adopt C/N as his child, even though she was a human. Yes, backlashes might be out there but he didn't care. He will protect his future wife and kid up until his death. Speaking of his future wife, he plans to propose soon to her. In fact, the next day. "I will always be by everyone's side."

"I will guide the rookie towards his finish," Doc announced, and that made others happy, causing them to slightly cheer since it was night. 

The next day~

It was a beautiful sunny day here in California where the race will be held. Doc allowed me to cling up to him while C/N was clinging to Mater. Doc looked very fabulous with the stickers on him that said 'Fabulous Hudson Hornet 51'. He was incredibly handsome and badass-looking and Sheriff led all the way up until the racing stadium. Many cars that we passed looked in awe upon seeing THE Doc Hudson and even me and C/N, never seeing us before. 

Once we passed and everyone parked, me and C/N got off Doc, and Mater and Doc took the position as the crew chief. Everyone got in their positions as I stood close to Doc and C/N stuck by close to me. We watched in silence as Lightning had trouble focusing on driving since he fell in love not only with Sally but also with the town where he stayed for a few days. As he crashed against the wall, Doc decided to respond. "I didn't come all this way to see you quit."

Lightning, who was on the racing road, got shocked upon hearing a very familiar voice. He looked over to his pit crew and saw us all. "Doc? Y/N?"

We all cheered for him as Lightning continued to drive. Doc and I simply smiled for him while I never saw C/N cheer that loud before. It made me chuckle and ruffle her hair, causing her to giggle. 

"Guys, you're here! I can't believe this!" Lightning responded happily with a happy true smile on his face.

"I knew you needed a crew chief, but I didn't know it was that bad," Doc responded, already feeling guilty that he never helped Lightning sooner. 

"You said you'd never come back," Lightning responded and Doc answered that he really didn't have a choice and Mater didn't get to say goodbye to him, to which he shouted it towards Doc's microphone. 

We all watched Lightning park behind the sign of Radiator Springs and Fillmore got to work with Sarge to fill him up. "All right, if you can drive as good as you fox the road then you can win this race with your eyes shut. Now, get back out there!" 

I saw how Lightning felt very confident that he drove immediately onto the road as Doc told Luigi and Guido to be fast when it was time for a pit stop. The Italians promised to be fast and were totally ready for it. Doc even advised Lightning to find a groove that works for him. That's when Lightning was badass on the road because of his speed. C/N then whispered in my ear how everyone was looking at us and I looked. everyone looked at Doc, me, and C/N. They noticed us! I noticed up that the cameras were rolling on us so did a small wave while C/N continued to cheer for lightning, not noticing at all that we were being filmed. Lightning passed Strip and Chick. I heard about strip Weathers as the king of the Dinoco and was planning to retire while Chick Hicks was really mean and cheated a lot, caring about winning. 

"You're goin' great, kid. Just keep your head on," Doc advised Lightning.

"Vai! Vai! Vai!" Guido yelled, happy for Lightning. That's when he was teased for being the only forklift that Lightning chose. I was about to step in and defend Guido but Luigi took it, saying that he will have the chance.

"You go, Light!" I cheered and shouted.