Division 1

Division 1 headquarters.

Kaito dreaded entering this building. This police force was used to murders, they were trained to take down any and every possible threat that was aimed at them.
And they had Kudo at their beck and call.

Pandora nudged his arm, trying to somehow comfort Kaito, and yet it didn't help him at all. He knew he had to get in there.
The ambulance wasn't there yet.
If they found Hakuba this distraught and out of commission- Kaito feared what he would find in this building.

Now he was all alone, with Pandora. At least he didn't have Aoko to worry about- but it was also one less person able to use a firearm. Kaito had never been so nervous this entire time but alas, he had no choice.

The ambulance would never make it in if he wouldn't subdue whatever was responsible for this.

But was he ready to shoot? Who could even know if his sleeping gas worked- Kudo did shoot hope with a tranquilizer dart and it worked.
And yet...

Hope had the ability to cure any and all debilitations.

Kaito shook his head, getting rid of his thoughts. He couldn't keep standing out in the open like some idiot.
With confident steps, he marched up to the door and took another deep breath before pushing it open, sleeping gas bombs ready in his other hand.
Silence.

He had expected this much.

This time, he didn't search for survivors. Kaito motioned Pandora along as he slowly opened door after door, securing each and every room and possible hiding spot.
Death, blood and unconscious bodies followed his every step- whatever was responsible for this, it had wrecked pure and utter havoc in here.

Kaito had to take a break at this point. He was trembling from head to toe, and the smell made him nauseous. Pandora noted this, and carefully led Kaito to a small window which he promptly opened, letting in some fresh air.

Taking a few breathers to calm down, Kaito resisted the urge to throw up and grabbed Pandora's hand.
"I'm fine. Let's go."
Further and further, floor after floor. Where is that bastard? Kaito began losing confidence at this point. And where is Shinichi?

Turning around a corner, Pandora froze up immediately and grabbed Kaito's arm, holding him back.
"What is it?"
Kaito flashed a glance back at him, only to see Pandora wildly shaking his head, not willing to go further.

Ah.

Something was up there.

Kaito took both of Pandora's hands, looking into his eyes.
Please, he mouthed, and the boy exhaled a sharp breath. Kaito knew he couldn't do this without Pandora at his side protecting him from any influence.
Finally, the boy budged- a little unwilling, following Kaito.

There he stood.

Arms behind his back, staring out of the blinds of a window, calm as ever.
Kaito immediately paused. This was his chance. He took a gas bomb.
"Ah, Kuroba Kaito, a pleasure to see you again. And you even brought my counterpart, how curteous of you."
He turned around and Kaito froze again. Dammit. How did he know?

"Do you have any idea what you have done...?!"
It was hard for Kaito to keep his cool at this point.
"Oh, me? I would never do anything like this. That was all them... I haven't laid a finger on a single person in here."
Kaito's expression slowly switched to furious.
"I'm not playing, Hope."
"Me neither. See, I was actually expecting you... I do have something to return to you, after all."
Hope nodded to a small closed off room with a calm and gentle smile. It made Kaito sick.

Only slowly, Kaito moved over to the room, always keeping an eye on hope and Pandora seamlessly followed along, not daring to leave his side. The moment he pushed open the door, something lunged at him and within seconds, he was tackled onto the floor-
"Ouch-!! What the- Pandora, help!!"
Kaito looked up into Shinichi's eyes, who was pinning him down hard, keeping his sleeves out of reach for the young thief.
"Kudo...?! Shinichi, what are you doing?!"

Pandora tried to push Shinichi off of him but within seconds, Hope stood next to them and grabbed Pandora's arm.
"There there, easy my friend. They have been waiting to see each other."
Kaito squirmed under Shinichi, desperately trying to push him off, but that detective was surprisingly strong- and he couldn't reach his smoke bombs for the life of his.

"Kaito...?!"

Everyone froze, eyes darting towards the entrance. Kaito turned pale.

Aoko?!

"What are you doing here, I thought you were with that old man!!"
"Do you think I'm stupid?! I knew you'd come here!!"
Aoko pulled a firearm, obviously grabbed from one of the dead officers, aiming at Hope who had been watching this with a rather interested expression.

"Aoko you say... Ah, that rings a bell. Nakamori Aoko."
He set up a gentle smile and Aoko paused. That was a rather... sweet voice. Persuading, almost.
"I'm surprised you are aiming at me when the person you've been searching for is right here."
Hope nodded onto Kaito, but Aoko wasn't having any of it.
"Shut up!! It was you, wasn't it?! You're responsible for all this!!"

Hope's hand slowly reached up to cover Pandora's mouth. Kaito widened his eyes as he saw Pandora struggle, knowing what was about to come.
"Nakamori-san... don't tell me Kuroba Kaito never told you about his double life...?"
"I said shut up!!"
"Oh, why would I? You deserve to know. You see... Kuroba Kaito is our second generation Kaitou KID~ He has been in front of you, all this time."

Aoko paused. That was a lie. It had to be. And yet, this boy in front of her seemed so sincere and truthful about this.
"...Kaito that's not true, he's lying! You're not Kaitou KID!!"
Kaito fell silent.

He wanted to agree. He wanted to tell her no, but he promised, he promised he would tell her today. No more lies. Hope would use this against him.
"Aoko-... He is right. I-I wanted to tell you today, but then all of this happened and-"
"You're kidding, right? Kaito, you're joking- Why are you joking in such a situation-"
Aoko interrupted herself. Hope took that as his cue to continue.

"Stings, right? Your best friend... at least you thought he was your best friend... Kuroba Kaito is the reason your father disregarded you, Kuroba Kaito is the reason you had to celebrate your birthday without him, Kuroba Kaito is the reason for your father's stress and Kuroba Kaito is the reason for his constant humiliation..."

Hope's eyes widened a little as his lips curled up into a wide grin.

"Nakamori Aoko... Credo in te."