Baela and Rhaena. Her sisters.

Alyssa slowly sat on the bed and Daemon approached. He leaned down and carefully handed Baela to Alyssa, settling the baby in her arms.

It was a strange weight. A baby, a child. Alyssa was only a child herself. But she felt nothing but love when she looked at her sister. A life. A Targaryen, a person for her to protect.

Two people for her to protect.

"Do we all start this small?" Alyssa asked after a moment, glancing from the baby to her father. It was unbelievable, holding a being that small.

Daemon laughed. "Most of us. But then we grow." He ruffled Alyssa's braided hair, messing up the work of the maids.

Her sisters.

***

Having two newborn babies was much of a task. Even with the help of maids and servants, they had to do double of everything.

It meant that Alyssa was a little neglected as she helped to care for her new sisters. She knew why, understood the purpose, and she didn't blame her father and mother. But it was a little disheartening. Just for the first year of their lives.

Because when they were so young, they required attention around the clock. And it was a crucial time for bonding.

Alyssa liked to help care for Baela and Rhaena. But there wasn't much she could do when they were babies. She entertained herself while her parents were occupied with the babies.

Often, Alyssa read Valyrian histories like her father. She was extremely proficient in the language thanks to his teaching, so she liked to read what he read. To make him proud.

As well, Alyssa spent a lot of time continuing to bond with Cannibal. Her massive beast that let her claim him as just a girl. All she wanted was to be able to ride him. He had a saddle.

But Daemon knew he was too big for her to ride when she was so young. He'd always said 8 as a precursor, hoping she would bond herself enough to Cannibal that he'd listen when it was time.

So finally, when the twins were one and just a little bit more capable of being alive, Daemon and Laena agreed it was time. Alyssa was eight, approaching nine quickly.

Besides, the girls already had a good relationship.

They often found them in a little pile in Alyssa's bed. She liked to read to her sisters. Baela, Rhaena, and Baela's dragon, Moondancer.

Her egg hatched; Rhaena's hadn't yet. There was still time, of course. But it was looking more and more likely the egg wouldn't.

Regardless of her lack of dragon, Baela, Moondancer, and Rhaena often curled up beside Alyssa as she read to them. Then they fell asleep. And Alyssa followed because she couldn't move.

"Look at our girls," Laena would say fondly, standing beside Daemon as they watched their daughters sleep. She saw Alyssa as her daughter just as much as Baela and Rhaena were.

She very much hoped that he didn't have regrets about their gender. Especially since the person he'd wanted to marry had given birth to two boys.