Chapter 21.5: The Red Mother

???'s POV

???: so the quakes were happening in the Hoarfrost Reach as well, huh?

Reva: yes, that's right.

I looked down at Reva, Ash and Blitz. They'd just returned from their mission, however...the results were a bit mixed.

???: and what about those new hybrids and their friends?

Reva: strangely enough, they didn't really put up much of a fight. However, I'm certain the avalanche caused by the quakes took out at least a few of them.

I stayed silent, my lack of a response seemed to make Reva nervous as beads of sweat ran down her face.

Reva: I-I'm so sorry, my queen. P-please forgive us for our failure.

I knelt down and reached out my hand. Reva's eyes shut tight as she braced for some kind of punishment....but then as I gently place my hand on her head, I felt her body tense up.

???: don't confuse mistakes with failure. There's no way you could've known that the quakes would occur during your mission. You did nothing wrong.

She relaxed.

Reva: t-thank you...my queen.

I stood up and ordered the 3 of them to do the same.

???: now go get yourselves something to eat, but keep your guard up. I'll be in the lower levels if you need me

Reva and Ash bowed while Blitz just stood there.

???: oh, and Blitz...

Blitz: yeah?

???: be sure to feed our...guest.

With that, I walked over to the edge of the cliff before jumping down. I fell for a few seconds before landing in the deepest part of our domain. I dusted myself off before greeting her.

???: hello, mother.

As she rested I saw her open one of her eyes and let out a low growl of acknowledgment

As she rested I saw her open one of her eyes and let out a low growl of acknowledgment. I took a deep breath before removing my crown, as well as the plated armor I was wearing, only leaving the clothes I had underneath. I carefully set them down along side my insect glaive before walking over to her.

I approached her side examining the various scars that littered her body from her multitude of battles.

???: we've both been through a lot. It's moments like this where we can have a proper rest.

I sat down next to her and rested my head against her side, rising and falling as she breathed. There was only silence for a moment before I reached into my pocket and pulled out that red haired doll I'd taken from that hunter sent to spy of us. I spoke.

???: I really do care about them. The hybrids, the people, and all the creatures of the new world.

I took another deep breath as I brushed away a piece of silk hair that obscured the dolls face with my finger .

???: whenever 2 countries go to war, why is it always the people who're force to fight? They didn't have anything to do with it, so why should they have to suffer? I don't enjoy taking the lives of those who're just doing what they're told, I only do what I have to.

My mother growled again.

???: well, I did get a bit of satisfaction from killing that one hunter, but he just got on my nerves.

I looked back down at the doll.

???: do you think if in war, if the leaders were the only one to fight, then there'd be world peace? But I wasn't made to be a leader, I was made to be a soldier, we all were! We never asked for that, we never asked for war...!

I tried to calm myself, placing a hand on my forehead and regulating my breathing.

???: none of that matters now, what's done is done. The other new world hybrids can do what they want, but we have to do what's necessary.

My finger began circling around one of the doll's button eyes.

???: In the facility we were kept in...we were 8...now we are only 7. Sometimes I wonder...what would they have done if they'd survived all those torturous experiments? Would they have left with Ruin and the others, or would they have stay with us?

I stood up and clenched my fist.

???: there's no doubt in my mind that those hybrids survived that avalanche. If they don't get smart soon, then I'll be forced to show them the wrath of The Red Queen, Safia!

My mother once again growled. I looked back at her before sitting back down.

Safia: sorry, I always get riled up when I'm lost in my thoughts. Maybe a nap will take the edge off.

I laid back and shut my eyes.

Safia: tomorrow we'll discuss our next move...thank you for listening to me ramble.