Chapter 12: The Island

Nara's POV

I was carrying out what I was told, which was basically babysitting Rex while we explored the Ancient Forest. I sighed as I watch Rex take another swig from a bottle that he snuck from the canteen

Nara: see anything yet?

Rex: I can't see nothing, everything's blurry.

Nara: ya know, we're supposed to be on a mission. If you had any sense in that thick skull of yours, you'd realize that and put that bottle down.

Rex: well, I'd put it down if I got to go to the Elders Recess like I wanted.

Nara: would you shut up about that already? I get it, you aren't gonna get to fight that hybrid, big deal. We've got bigger thing to worry about aside from your grudge with her.

Rex: whatever.

He took another sip from the bottle.

Nara: that's it.

I grabbed the bottle and yanked it out of his hand.

Rex: hey.

Nara: we've got a job to do, if you focus and get it done I'll give it back. Now what day is it?

Rex: huh?

Nara: What. Day. Is. It?

Rex: uh, March 16th.

Nara: ok, you're good. I was making sure you weren't absolutely wasted.

Just then we both began to hear the sound of crunching leave heading in our direction. I held the bottle with my tail and grabbed my long sword off of my back. Rex took his great sword and took a fighting stance.

The cause of the noise came closer and closer until a bush nearby began rustling. Rex walked over and before quickly reaching into the bush and dragging out...Pierce.

Rex: oh, it's just this bastard.

Pierce: LET ME GO!

Without any hesitation, Rex dropped him to the ground with a thud.

Nara: what're you doing out here?

Pierce: what do you think?

Rex: spying on us.

Pierce: well, you're smarter than I thought you were.

Nara: listen, I know you and the other hunters in Astera don't trust us, but we're not trying to hurt anybody...

Rex lifted him back up by the back of his armor.

Rex: but we will if you make us.

Pierce looked at Rex with a look of fear in his eyes.

Nara: Rex, stop it and put him down.

Rex did as he was told.

Pierce looked up at him.

Pierce: why is his face all red.

Nara: he's...got a drinking problem.

Rex: eh, it's only a problem when I run out.

He took a swig from the bottle that somehow got back into his hand again. I looked back at my tail in surprise and saw nothing. I just face palmed.

Rex stopped chugging, wiped his lips and spoke again.

Rex: look, we're not trying make any trouble, but if you get in our way, we won't hesitate to get in yours. Do I make myself clear.

Pierce: hm, fine then, but just know to I don't just any of you hybrids, none of us do.

He walked away, leaving me to walk back over to Rex and snatch the bottle away from him again.

Nara: let's keep moving.

Cody's POV

Me and Scarlet strolled through the Rotten Vale, just seeing what we could find. Scarlet held her nose to get something semblance of relief from the noxious smelling the air.

Scarlet: man, this place smells so bad.

Cody: well, that's what happened when to pile up rotting flesh in one area. Here.

I reached into my bag and pulled out a mask. I handed it to her.

Scarlet: thanks.

She put it on and we continued walking.

Cody: ya know, for what is basically a monster graveyard, it's quite the spectacle.

Scarlet: yeah, I mean look at this place. When you look passed all the corrosive acid and decaying corpses it kind of nice to look at.

Cody: I mean, then there's that.

I pointed up with Scarlet following my gaze. There was the massive skull of a dalamadur with its upper jaw acting as the roof to this cave and its lower jaw making up the floor.

Scarlet: WOAH, I didn't even notice that.

Cody: yeah, good thing you and (y/n) put down that one in the old world before it could get this big.

After marveling at our surroundings, we continued further into the cave. Upon entering a rather large section of the Rotten Vale we immediately noticed a huge pile of rotting skin and flesh

Cody: wow.

We walked over, being careful to avoid any puddles of acid in our way, and climbed up onto the pile.

Scarlet: so this isn't just here by coincidence, right, something had to have put this here.

Cody: probably, we should go before whatever it is decides to come back.

We turned to leave, only to see a bunch of...well, I can only describe them as big snakes with legs.

Scarlet: uh, what're those?

I took out the hunter guidebook that we had all been given the day before until I found a description that matched.

Cody: girros

She looked closer.

Scarlet: is it just me, or do they look...sick?

Cody: well...

I took my dual blades off of my back.

Cody: let's put em down.

I pick up a rock and hucked it at one of them to get their attention. It hit one it the side of the head causing it to look towards me and let out a hiss before they all began charging at us. I slashed and land a clean cut in 2 of their bellies while Scarlet skewered 3 of the with a piercing stab.

Scarlet: well, that was quick.

Cody: I'll say, they didn't put up much of a fight. These things much really be sick.

Just then I began to hear the sound of bones being knocked together. I looked over a could ever so slightly make out a lump in the pile of flesh and bones. Suddenly, it began moving towards us. I took a few steps back as it stopped right in front of me. I looked down and saw something. Upon closer inspection, I could see it was an eye looking right at me from under the pile.

I then watched as a very human looking hand launched out of the pile, grabbed the tail of one of the girros I had just killed and drag it under before moving away from us.

Scarlet: what the hell was that?

Cody: had to be another hybrid, let's head back and report this.