22: How Deep is Your Love

Start from the beginning

"We have to ice yacht to the Kola superdeep borehole," Emma read.

"What's a borehole?" I asked.

"In our swimsuits," Sanders said.

"Oh yay! I look magnifique in my swimsuit!" Jacques smiled as Josee rolled her eyes.

"What's an ice yacht?" Devin asked.

"No time to explain! Let's move!" Kristen yelled, grabbing me by the arm and then rushed inside a taxi. After a short race in the cabs we ran out and into the changing stalls then we got changed into our swimsuits. Then Kristen and I ran out of the stalls, getting an ice yacht right after Devin and Carrie left.

"You steer, I'll keep an eye out," I said. Soon enough the wind picked up again and we started to move along the ice. I felt as though I should've brought my wetsuit because my cyan bikini wasn't helping me in the environment and I was freezing. And I could see the pink bikini wasn't really keeping Kristen any warmer. Suddenly from behind us we saw Kitty, Emma, Ryan and Stephanie catch up.

"Isn't there any way to make it move faster?" I asked.

"No there isn't," Kristen said.

"I have an idea!" I said, with that I grabbed a rope and threw it onto Ryan and Stephanie's yacht. Then I started to pull us forward,

"Great thinking!" Kristen smiled.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?!" Stephanie yelled at me.

"Beating you," I smiled, as I pulled us forward and them backward, and we started to sail forwards at a rapid pace. But unfortunately, both the Best Friends and the Dater/Haters caught up with us again. With us being on the far right, the Dater/Haters in the middle and the Best Friends on the far left.

"You better stay out of  our way!" Stephanie yelled at me and Devin.

"Oh shut up Miss Anger-Problems, and if want what's best for you, you'll stay out of our way!" I told Stephanie.

"You stay out of our way!" Devin yelled at Stephanie. Out of earshot I heard Carrie talking to Ryan and Kristen.

"I'm really sorry about this," Carrie apologised.

"Yeah, sorry about this guys," Kristen said.

"Oh, I don't blame you," Ryan said, then Stephanie got in Ryan's face. 

"WHY ARE YOU-" Stephanie started.

"Why am I even talking to them. You are right, I need to focus on you and your needs," he said calmly. This made Stephanie even angrier, man he was good. Then suddenly, the Ice Dancers passed all three of us. 

"Yes! Second place!" Jacques said. Now the three of us were full-on bashing into each other. We bashed into the Dater/Haters and then they bashed into the Best Friends and the Best Friends bashed back.

"It was you who ran into us!" Stephanie accused.

"No, you and muscle face wouldn't let us pass so don't blame-" Devin tried before he was cut off by our partners. 

"HOLE!!!" Carrie, Kristen and Ryan yelled out. Stephanie and Devin gripped onto each other while I held onto the mast of our ice yacht. We screamed as we collided with the changing booths. All of us groaned when we made contact with them.

"My bathing suit!" Jacques exclaimed, leaving the challenge to grab his too small speedo. Eventually Kristen and I got up and quickly got changed into our regular clothes and winter wear. When we got there Devin and Carrie were already on their way down. And so were the Dater/Haters. And Kristen took the tip.

"Okay, who's ready to go deep? Oh dear, in this all-in one team member must crank their partner all the way to the bottom so they can retrieve a ball from the bottom of the hole, then get cranked all the way back to the top by their partner," Kristen read with her voice trembling.

"We don't have much time to lose! I have a plan!" I said clipping on the harness, I grabbed a helmet with a headlight and put it on. Then clipped on the metal rope and I was pulled up by the pulley system.

"So what's the plan?" My partner asked.

"Kristen let go," I said. Kristen stood still for a couple minutes with a shocked expression on her face.

"KRISTEN!!!" I yelled.

"But this is a seven mile drop. That's risky even for you," she yelled, I groaned.

"Listen Kris, out of everyone I know I trust you the most. Now listen to me, when I say stop. Stop the pulley system," I told her.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Yes! Go!" I told her: With a lot of reluctance, Kristen let go of the pulley system. And I started to fall down the hole. I quickly fell past Ryan and Carrie who were both on their way up, they both gave me shocked looks. Now I could see the solid floor.

"STOP!" I yelled. Kristen stopped and I was just a couple of metres above the ground.

"Marnie! Are you okay?" Kristen asked me.

"I'm okay Kristen! Just lower me down a little bit more," I said, after she lowered me down I got on my feet. Kitty then ran over to me.

"Marnie! That was crazy!" she said.

"I know! Incredible right?" I smiled, pumping my fists in the air.

"I like thrill-seeking as well. But even that was risky," she said.

"Haven't you been here for like an hour?" I asked.

"Uh, stop trying to change the subject," Kitty smiled as the two of us laughed.

"Marnie, do you see any balls?" Kristen asked, as I started to look for a ball then on a small ledge I spotted one.

"I've got one," I said. "Pull up," I said.

"Good luck Kits," I said.

"Thanks," she smiled, still looking around for a ball of her own. While Kristen began to crank me upwards. Suddenly, I passed Sanders.

"Are the balls hard to find?" she asked.

"Nope, it won't take you very long, good luck." I smiled.

"Thanks Marnie," she said. After a little more cranking on Kristen's part, I heard Sanders yell from below.

"MACARTHUR NO!" This was followed by intense screaming. My eyes widened at the realisation as I saw the rope being suspended. Quickly, I put the ball in my trouser pocket and tried to grab the rope but I just got a rope burn on my hand. Suddenly, I heard a massive smash. Macarthur had just sent Sanders down the hole and hadn't stopped her before she hit the ground.

Confessional: Marnie and Kristen:

"You see how badly your reckless plan could've ended?!" Kristen asked me while yelling.

"You're right, I'm sorry," I said, with a shocked look on my face.

End Confessional

After a little more cranking I was lifted back to the top of the hole. Kristen and I walked over to Macarthur.

"Are you guys gonna be okay?" Kristen asked the cadet.

"Yup, we'll be fine," Macarthur said with her voice breaking.

"I'm sure Sanders will be okay," I said, placing my hand on Macarthur's shoulder.

"Thanks guys, you'd better go before the Sisters arrive," she said. We left the borehole with sad looks on our faces and soon enough arrived at the chill zone which was inside a sauna.

"Kristen, Marnie, you're in fourth," Don told us. Emma and Kitty then arrived, right behind us.

"Sisters, you're fifth," Don told them. They giggled at this and the four of us hugged. Now this meant that the Police Cadets would be eliminated. But today's leg ended up being a non-elimination round. So despite Sanders coming out of the hole with a broken arm. She was still strong enough for them to continue in the race. And I knew Kristen would be happy about this.