Chapter 5 - Stars Collide

Start from the beginning

''I-I already knew that, you didn't have to say it.''  The tears in her eyes say the opposite.

''First session is about to begin Itsuki-chan, We're all waiting for you.'' 

''...N-no way, I don't want to go there while he's there.''

''Who? Fuutarou? I don't know what happened between you and him, but he's not really a bad person Itsuki-chan.''

''He's arrogant, insensitive to people's feelings and a loner.''

''Come on, you don't have to be so harsh on him.''  

However, the majority of what she said is correct tho...

''These are just the bad sides of him Itsuki-chan but have you ever tried to think about the good side of him?'' I asked and kneel down in front of her when she was sitting. Face to face.

''Like what?'' For a moment, she tried to wipe away the tears, but it was too late.

"Hehe, good question. Let's see, Fuutarou is probably the smartest person in this house; my grades are nowhere near his. Despite the fact that he doesn't have many friends, he enjoys spending time with them. I've known Fuutarou since elementary school, and apart from his appearance, he's a wonderful person. He is most likely working for you down the stairs right now. When the notes he prepared screw up, he decided preparing his own notes so that you can better understand it."

''If you put that way...'' Itsuki was confused. She was probably trying to decide what to do in her mind.

''Itsuki, what do you want to be in the future?''

''Huh? Umm... I-I want to be a teacher like my mother, I always saw her as my idol.''

''Now when you say it...There are only 5 rooms here, aren't your parents staying with you?''

Then, a bitter expression appeared on Itsuki's face. A mix of pain and sadness. Maybe I asked something I shouldn't have said...Ah, She shouldn't tell a stranger like me about her family problems, I have to apologize.

''Ah! Sorry, I probably asked too m-'' 

''She is dead.''

...

''When we were in middle school...she diagnosed with a terminal illness.'' Itsuki clenched her fists, trying to prevent the tears from coming again.

''She died a few years ago. Then...Our father started to take care of us. He's a busy person... doesn't come here often, he only comes to visit us once a week. He is working hard for us, to raise us in better conditions. That's why he bought us this apartment and took care of our bills... I...I want to be someone like my mother, she was the brightest star I've ever known...''

The words stuck in my throat... What can I even say? Or even... Do I even need to say anything? This is something I never understood. I live alone, but it's a decision we made as a family. If I say anything... I'll be meddling in her family issues.

''Itsuki-chan...''

''That's why I study all the time, to be worthy of them.'' She couldn't hold her back tears anymore.

''That's why you shouldn't run from us. I know you can achieve something on your own. You and all your sisters seem like really great people. And probably your father hired Fuutarou because he's well-aware that too. So let us help you as well. You have nothing to lose, do you?''