ii. dead dove on a sunday morning

TWO
' dead dove on a sunday morning '

THERE was only one thing that Kim Bora was more proficient in than volleyball: keeping her word

THERE was only one thing that Kim Bora was more proficient in than volleyball: keeping her word. If she said that she was going to become the president, expect to see her name alongside the 2042 presidential candidates.

So, when Bora (the same Bora who would've temporarily kicked Jieun off the team had it not been for her agreeing to play Cupid) had threatened Jieun to leave practice, she knew better than to test the waters, as much as she desperately wanted to dip her toes in.

Practice had been going great— if you ignored the ball that Jieun got stuck in the ceiling and the way all of her teammates backed away when she stepped up to serve.

Jieun's issues were always taken out on volleyballs and a two-ish metre net.

Bora would rather she take them out on a journal— or with a therapist.

"You've gotta get rid of all of this aggression, Jieun, it's not doing you any good."

Jieun sighed at her teammate's complaint, silently rolling her eyes as she tied a compression wrap around her hand. "I'm not dead, am I?"

"Not yet."

Another displeased sigh passed through Jieun's split lips, a result of biting too hard on the bottom one during games and practice. She stared at her concerned friend, a challenging glint fostering in her irises. Jieun knew what she was doing, she didn't need someone dictating her every move— she already had Heeseung doing that anyways.

Jieun pushed the boy as far back in her mind as she could before refocusing on her team captain.

Bora still looked fed up, and as much as Jieun feigned ignorance, she could understand why: Bora had watched too many of her players ruin themselves, but Jieun knew she wasn't going to be the latest addition to that list. She knew herself, and that included her limits.

So, the slightly (or more than slightly, but only she— and Heeseung— knew that) injured girl walked straight back onto the court, blatantly ignoring the fact that if she continued to practice her hand would go from sore to sprained.

"Jieun," Bora called out, shifting all her weight to her left foot as she stood like a stern mother, "Take a break before you hurt yourself more."

"I'm fine."

"You're not, you're injured," Bora reminded her, an accusing finger pointing at her bandaged hand.

"Heejung needs some practice with her spiking, how will she be able to do that if no one can set it to her?" Jieun reasoned, gaining the attention of the mentioned girl. Min Heejung stared at the two older girls as they glared at each other, no doubt wondering why she had been used as a scapegoat.