if you're too shy- derek

Derek noticed you as soon as you stepped onto the dancefloor, drink still in your hands as you swayed to the music- you weren't drunk, yet, your movements were too precise, too rhythmic but it didn't shock him any less to see you there, doing that. You weren't supposed to be in town and definitely weren't supposed to be in a bar with a bunch of drunks dancing just a little too close for even his comfort. He could've turned his head, pretended not to see you, pretended not to see the way that guy's hands were inching lower and lower. It was none of his business, and he truly couldn't care less who was copping a feel. Or at least he shouldn't.

You, however, had no clue that your father's coworker was sat across the bar witnessing your downfall, your worst day ever, your very uncharacteristic night out which would not have happened had you not made it through the hell of a week you'd had. So you finished your drink, holding onto the empty glass as you tried to convince yourself that you were having fun, that everything in you wasn't dreading the feel of that hand on your lower back or the smell of his beer-clad breath that tickled your ear. You bit your tongue, leaned into him, and allowed him to move a hand over your stomach and as if he could feel your discomfort from his seat, Derek looked over at you once again and when your eyes locked, you felt the air being sucked out of your chest.

He could tell and he was up before he knew it, blowing any shot he had with the girl he was chatting up, stalking across the bar in a way that had people parting to make room for him- he was a big guy, and of course, he still had his gun holstered on his pants which didn't help at all.

"Derek," you breathed when he paused in front of you, not missing the relieved sign that left your lips when the guy behind you took a step back, releasing you completely and when you stumbled slightly into Derek, he found the first sign that you'd been really drinking.

"I'm taking you home."

"I'm not ready to leave yet," he scoffed at that, couldn't take you seriously the way your voice was so soft, eyes wouldn't leave his, as if for a moment you'd forgotten just how much you disliked the fool. He didn't really care for your comment, or for the roll of your eyes and the folding of your arms once he took the empty glass from you.

"It wasn't a question," you knew that, didn't mean you wouldn't fight him on it. He handed the glass to the guy you were dancing with dismissing him without a single word as he sauntered over to the bar. "Don't be difficult," you were definitely considering it, but he was already guiding you toward the door. His hand started on your arm, shifting to your back, and you reacted to it, leaning into him even if you didn't want to like your body had a mind of its own and that's how you walked all the way to his car. "Your dad know you're here?" he was buckling in your seatbelt now, not too happy about it by the quick movements of his hands, looking up at you almost like he was scorning you and it made your blood boil.

"No," you deadpanned, swatting his hands away to take over, shooing him away with a sigh. "I'm not a child, Derek, I can go where I want," he didn't agree, you could tell, didn't need to have a fancy profiler title to see it either. But he didn't say it, simply closed the car door before walking around and getting in beside you.

"Can't believe this is how I'm ending my night," he wasn't really talking to you, thinking out loud, eyes on the road, both hands on the steering wheel, he was frustrated.

"Well, that's on you- I was having a good time until you stomped over and ruined it."

"You were having fun, huh? You sure looked it," he was the one being difficult now, daring you to fight him on it but you really couldn't, though he wasn't the one you'd hoped to run into you were grateful he pulled you out of there. "What were you even doing there, huh?"

"What do people usually do at bars, genius?" the scoff he gave you this time was lighter, breathier, more like a laugh he'd tried to hide.

"Well, you're not exactly people, cupcake," he offered you a quick glance, silently showing you he had more to say. "I've known you for what, four years now, and never once have you shown an interest in places like that, things like that."

"I had a few drinks at a bar."

"I know, I saw, I'm asking you why," another glance, softer this time, unfamiliar, if you thought about it too long you'd convince yourself he cared, luckily he wasn't done talking. "Did something happen?" you frowned, and just in case he was planning on giving you another one of those looks, you looked out of the window, arms folded over your chest, shutting him down- it didn't work. "Boy trouble?"

"Why, you jealous?"

"No ma'am," he answered too quickly and you couldn't help but smile, hitting his arm in faux offense as you gave in and turned back to him, "Do you want me to be?"

"Hmm," you looked him over slowly, you weren't blind, couldn't deny that he was amazing to look at, a feast for the eyes- but that didn't change the fact that he was a flirt, an arrogant flirt at that and you couldn't stand it- so why did the heat spread up your neck when you found him smirking. "I don't know, maybe, I might like you better with your clothes off."

"Is that so? You mean all I had to do for you to stop hating me was strip?"

"I mean sure, give it a go," it felt odd being on the other end of the teasing for once, weird seeing the way his eyes drew thin, lips dance into a tight smirk, you weren't usually the one making him sweat.

"I don't think your dad would be too happy about that."

"I think you talking about my dad when I'm trying to get you naked is a little questionable."

"I think you had more to drink than I realized," you laughed at that, so did he, it was a harmonious sound, the two of you getting along, not just taking shots at each other, picking fun at each other, but laughing together. He pulled into your driveway, and you didn't even realize you were so close, didn't realize how fast he'd been driving or fast time had passed.

"If you're too shy just let me know, cupcake," you couldn't help yourself, the pet name jumped out before you could fight it and it was worth the stab at your pride when you saw him looking away awkwardly, not uncomfortable, definitely not, intrigued maybe.

"Get out of my car, trouble," he sighed, reaching over to unbutton your seatbelt, then open your door, and then he paused, hovering, looking at your house as the light in the main bedroom turned on, and then he was counting, trying to predict how long he had before he turned to you with a smile. "You know," his hands were on either side of your seat, your heart beating in your throat as you tried to deny the way the closeness affected you. "If you ever want to test that theory of yours, just give me a call."

"In your dreams," his time was up, your dad opening the front door just in time to see Derek peeking out of the open car door, waving at him with a casual smile that stayed right on his lips as he spoke.

"Apparently, in yours too."