My eyes fall to where his overalls hang lowly around his hips, showing his black boxers. Before I can comprehend what he is saying next to me, I catch myself looking where I shouldn't be looking, and in the back of my mind, the thought of Theo makes me feel guilty as though I shouldn't even be thinking of anyone else but him.

You can't blame me. My eyes are attracted to pretty things. I have to remind myself every day that I shouldn't be feeling guilty because Theo and I aren't together. We're just two friends having... fun?

"Uh..." Cole utters to himself as he scratches the back of his head with his filthy hands. "Which one is it again?" He asks, cluelessly handing me a longer, breaker bar. "Yeah. This must be it."

I laugh, shaking my head as I take it from his hand. "I expected better, Cole. How do you not know what a wrench is?"

He gives me a look as he crosses his arms over his chest. "That's why I'm a gardener, Ola, not a car mechanic."

"Well, I set my expectations too high."

Cole's eyes turn into slits as he turns his entire body to face me. "Not sure if that's supposed to be a compliment or an insult."

I let out a breath, patting Cole on the shoulder. "It's better that way, my friend," I tell him and chug water from a bottle as I look to where the garden blossoms with different kinds of plants and bright colors of Spring. "You're good at what you do. That's what matters," I say as I began to walk away to finish tightening the loose bolt beside the motor.

I flutter my eyelashes at him and notice his cheeks redden. Cole catches himself from letting his eyes linger on my face for too long as he clears his throat and mumbles a soft, "Thanks... I guess?"

I can feel his eyes on my ass from the mirror that hangs across the wall that I choose to ignore with a shake of my head while mumbling under my breath.

"Boys will be boys."

"Dear, come and eat lunch with us," Grandma announces as I make my way down the stairs, hair slightly damp from my refreshing shower

"Dear, come and eat lunch with us," Grandma announces as I make my way down the stairs, hair slightly damp from my refreshing shower. "I know you've been working hard trying to fix—"

"Grandma!" I panic at the mention of what I've been secretly doing in the garage these past few days when Mom had no idea about it. Grandma eyes me strangely and realizes. I make my way to the table and pass her a grateful smile. "Um, t-thanks for cooking!"

Mom looks up from her food and switches her gaze between the two of us.

"Olaria," she says. "Please don't yell like that around here."

I clear my throat, awkwardly, and pull the chair right next to her, but not before forcing a kiss on her cheek.

"Sorry," I sing out. "I just got excited. The food looks amazing and I'm starving."

Mom groans and pushes me away, acting like she doesn't secretly like it when I show my affection toward her. She's not like that— being verbal about her love but I understand her and so I try to show my appreciation through my actions. I know she loves me. She's my mom. She wouldn't be right here with me if she didn't. You never leave the people you love, no matter the circumstances.