| Chapter One |

Small, brightly colored dots of light rose into the night sky from Hunter's chest, where his beloved palisman, Flapjack, lay right before his passing. The other members of his family simply sat in both awe and sadness, not saying a single word. Flapjack's body, fully withering away, left everyone close to tears. Hunter's breathing slowly returned and came to a stable level. Opening his eyes, Hunter had little remembrance of what occurred while Belos was possessing him, but right now, he wasn't too concerned about that. He was mainly concerned for the safety of his family. "H-Hey guys. Is everyone Ok?"

    Days passed, and Hunter quickly lost any happiness that he had. He'd rarely talk to the others, and sleep the majority of the day. If he wasn't asleep, he would be writing these strange letters that he would place in a gray-painted, small wooden box when he completed them. No one understood why he wrote them, but no one asked him why. Gus began to become worried for his friend, so he decided to head down to the basement to talk to him.

Gus headed down to the basement a few hours later. Hunter hadn't come out of it all day, so he knew he would be in there. Gus quietly made his way down the basement stairs, eventually reaching the floor. He quickly spotted Hunter. He was at the desk that was kept in the basement for the boys to use, although Hunter claimed it as his. Gus walked over to where Hunter was, noticing he was asleep. Looking over at Hunter's right, he noticed a notebook partially covered by his arm. Curious, Gus moved over to where he could see the visible page. There seemed to be the beginning of a letter written on it. Due to Hunter's handwriting being eligible enough to read, Gus decided to read it.

         The letter talked about how Hunter felt dumb for even taking Flapjack to the Haunted Hayride in the first place. "I should have just stayed at the house, and looked after you while the others went to that event. If I did that, you would still be here right now." The letter stated. Gus decided to keep reading. "I deeply, DEEPLY apologize for taking you, for making you die. I feel so guilty. I'm sorry, Flapjack." The letter ended. "Love, Hunter"

         Thousands of thoughts ran through Gus's head. How could he have been so oblivious to the fact that Hunter was grieving the loss of his best friend? "He's probably so upset. How could I not notice this?" Gus thought. "I need to talk to him, but he's asleep. I'll talk to him when he wakes up." Gus thought. He walked over to the couch and grabbed his blanket, then walked to the desk and draped it over Hunter. "Sleep well, buddy. You need it," Gus whispered. He then turned the desk lamp off and left the basement, leaving Hunter in peace.

Loving and Losing | The Owl Houseजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें