Seeking his father's eyes among the crowd, Athan tilted his head in a silent query. The older man met his gaze, raised an eyebrow at his unexpected initiative, but ultimately gently shook his head in denial. 'Huh.' Was his father curious about how things would unfold? The prince furrowed his brow in confusion, mind jumping from his father's decision to the situation at hand.

He stood like that for a moment, lost in his own mind as his knights closed rank to him in reaction to his inattentiveness. After what felt like a century to him, an imaginary lightbulb blinked alive among his thoughts. 'So that's how it is...' It appeared that Claude wanted to see how the little princess will handle all of this unprompted attention. In other words, if she had the backbone necessary to survive and dominate in the world they were leaders of.

An interesting move on his father's part, to see how far her understanding of her own position has come after almost two years of studying under Madam Iris' tutelage. Truth be told, he himself was curious if Athanasia would be able to later on take over the Empress' duties. (Another part of his mind was interested if she'd be of use to his future plans.)

"A-Ah- Princess! I apologize! How careless of me!"

Bored jeweled eyes gazed at the noble attempting to salvage the situation as Lady Fallis began tearing a new one in the man. But the noble 一and wasn't that Baron Cohen if his memory served him correct?一 couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the pair of teacher and student and the frantic maid gently wiping away the wine from the princess' hair. His eyes were searching the crowds, darting from the Crown Prince to the Emperor in frantic movements.

Athan hid a sharp smile behind a gloved hand. 'That fool.' Glee overtook his face, eyes gleaming with anticipation. 'That's a good look you have on your face, dear sister.'

"What are you paying so much attention to, when I stand before you?" Athanasia's face resembled that of their father in that moment, impassive and cold, mouth set in a firm disapproving line and tiny body filled with righteous fury.

"Ah! Your Highness! You see, I was merely-!"

"Merely what? Ignoring me, the person you have wronged?" Sharp like a dagger, she cut off Baron Cohen's bullshit apology. Anger lined her very body as she stepped away from the maid currently tending to her, only to come and stand before the man who offended her. "I will forgive you on your mistake, but do not think, for even a moment, that I will forget the disrespect you have shown me."

'Good.' He thought as his father clapped his hands, drawing attention from the commotion. It seemed that Claude was of the same mind as him, as the emperor's next words were, "How entertaining." A chilling smile ghosted the older man's features as he turned away to say something in hushed tones to Felix.

Chuckling to himself, he sent a signal to Gregory to continue his discussion with the Xekch representatives and update him on it later. Stepping towards where his sister still stood but from where the Baron had vanished, the crowds parting like the Red Sea to form a path for him, Athan couldn't help the giddiness that spread within him. 'How fun.' He thought, smile sharp and full of dubious intent. 'You're exceeding my expectations, dear sister.'

It seemed like dearest Athanasia was too lost in her own thoughts to notice his approach. But it was fine, as it allowed him to scoop her up in his arms and leave the banquet hall with quiet steps, followed closely by his two knights and the lavender haired lady. Her face was full of surprise, though she did not shriek at his sudden actions, choosing to grip his shoulders in her tiny hands.

"I think that's enough excitement for tonight." He told her in lieu of a concrete reason. She pursed her lips but nodded, yielding to his whim.

He walked in silence, only the sounds of Lady Fallis' heels on the marble floors echoing around him. Finally, when they began nearing the entrance to the Ruby Palace, he spoke. "You acted accordingly tonight." A rush of pride looked to be surging through her and though he wanted her to acknowledge her own achievements, she needed guidance also. Guidance that she could only find with him and their father.

"Though if I may, sister mine, a piece of advice?" She looked at him, confused, before she nodded, eyes attentive. "Sharpen your fangs before the hyenas come sniffing. If you allow them to prowl around you, you'll soon find yourself disillusioned to the world."

Athanasia appeared to understand his words only by half, the other one puzzling her. Either way, it was fine. She'll come to realize the truth of his words soon. The world was not a kind place, even more so towards people like them.

As the maids of the Ruby Palace began making their way towards them with Lillian York in the lead, Athan placed his sister on the ground. "Whatever happens, do not forget my words." He gave her a smile, turning around to return to his own palace. "Have a good rest tonight, Athanasia."

'It will perhaps be the last you'll manage to get.'

────────────────────────

How much can you change and get away with it, before you turn into someone else, before it's some kind of murder?

✂------------------------------------------

Sporadic updates because uni is kicking my ass. (Surprise, I'm in law school 😂)