Word had it that many a noble had thought that taking advantage of her brother's lack of presence at court was a good idea. The things she's heard from charming the maids with her smiles were一 concerning. Black market deals, smuggling rings and even rumours of slave traders.

When she heard all of those, possibly, true happenings she had to wonder一 what was her father doing? Shouldn't he have dealt with such problems already? Wasn't it his duty as emperor to oversee his people's wellbeing?

But Madam Iris' lessons proved her quite wrong. It wasn't her father's immediate responsibility. That's why there were people being paid to deal with the problems His Majesty couldn't directly put a stop to. Sure, he was updated on the ongoings of matters, but, as her teacher had stressed, the emperor had more pressing matters. Making sure that noble infighting did not spill over the population, budget allocations for the various institutions of the Empire (there was a Minister of Finance, but he couldn't allow any expenses to be made until the budgets were decided), making sure that relief supplies were all in order in case disaster stuck the nation, territorial decisions had to pass through the emperor's hands and the monitoring of the Empire's military was his duty as Supreme Commander of the army.

(When the Madam began listing the Emperor's duties and the list kept on going, Athy thanked the heavens that she had no ambition for the throne. It sounded like too much trouble for her to get into.)

It was then that she realized that her brother was detrimental to the continuous harmony of Obelia. While her father dealt with the bigger issues regarding the Empire's autonomy, he brother was in charge of making the best decisions for the peoples' safety. While she had only seen her brother's comings and goings to parties and social functions, the Madam assured her that those duties will be passed onto her once she reached an appropriate age. (The duties of the empress had been taken on by the heir and she一 Athy didn't know how to feel about that.)

Attending to the courtesans' events was to be her duty as Imperial Princess. Hosting events, guiding the flow of news of society, influencing the spread of information to the nobles一 she wasn't sure if she could do it. She was unsure of her ability to take over this duty after her brother. Aware as she was of how this wasn't what Athan should be spending his time on didn't help.

Athanasius could do everything she could and couldn't, and he could do it better than she ever will. (It was that one seed of insecurity, in the form of the words "His Highness is the perfect heir" that gnawed at her.)

Momentarily distracted as she was, she didn't notice the nearing nobleman. Nor did Every for that matter as she was busy talking with one of the maids present to bring something or another for her ward.

She didn't notice the man until it was too late. Until there was red liquid dripping down her hair and face. Until the banquet hall rang with oppressive silence.

────────────────────────

ATHANASIUS GLANCED UP IN CURIOSITY THE moment a choked hush befell the crowds. Such silence would usually be welcomed by him on normal days, but events like this one were never quiet. There was always a conversation happening, a man seducing a woman in a shadowed corner or servants passing information among themselves. The lack of sounds indicating a physical altercation had him scouring the ballroom, jeweled eyes seeking and curious.

'Ah, there it is,' He thought, sights falling onto the soaked in wine form of his sister and the silent noble whose drunken flush was rapidly receding the more the situation sobered him. Instantly, the princess' teacher sprang into motion, shooing a maid away to bring a dry towel, the lavender haired woman hurrying by her ward's side, face thunderous with fury.