A deathly evening (2)

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"The sky grew darker, painted blue on blue, one stroke at a time, into deeper and deeper shades of night."

Serena's breath deformed into white clouds in the freezing air, rising into the sky and mingling with the increasingly dark clouds. A gust of wind tugged at her dark curls and left goose bumps on her fair skin. But neither the cold nor the impending storm seemed to dissuade her and Hall from returning to the castle.

Silently, the two walked side by side as the snowfall grew thicker by the minute and almost felt like a blizzard by the time they arrived in the village. It was so unpleasant that Serena regretted having agreed to spend the day with Hall.

"So, where do you want to take me today?" the Slytherin finally asked with a smirk on his face. Serena furrowed her eyebrows and looked at him uncomprehendingly. "What?"

The thick flakes got caught in his fair hair, but for once this didn't seem to bother the fussy boy at all. "You asked me out, remember?"

Serena sighed, a large cloud of mist forming in front of her face. Her cheeks, however, heated at the same time. At that moment, she didn't even want to know what a contrast her pink face gave to her snow-white surroundings. "Uhh... how about a butterbeer?"

"Great, at least you're not taking me to Madam Puddifoot's," he laughed.

Her suggestion having been accepted, they then trudged together through the narrow winding streets, on which a thin layer of snow had already formed. They quickly reached the old inn and entered the friendly and warm parlour, which was also frequented by many other teachers and students to warm up.

Hall pointed to one of the last free tables by the window and the two immediately took it, after they had both ordered a butterbeer. They now sat in silence at the table, sipping their hot drink now and then. Serena was finally the first to break the silence, "Why are you doing this?" she finally asked.

"What do you mean?" her counterpart asked, looking up in confusion, a furrow forming between his eyebrows.

"Well, all of it." She waved her arms around a little awkwardly, not knowing how to describe his behaviour, and sighed. "I mean, you don't even know me and you're running around saving my life."

"So tell me about yourself," he replied with a shrug and moved a little closer to her, looking deep into her eyes. Serena had to admit that by now she understood how he could win so many girls over with the mere blink of an eye. "What do you want to know?" she asked, trying to sound as indifferent as possible.