Mementos

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"At least our paths
have crossed."

As dawn broke, even the still summer air seemed to vibrate with anticipation. At all corners of the campsite, vendors had set up baskets and carts full of unusual merchandise. There were bright rosettes, green for Ireland, red for Bulgaria, shouting out the names of the players in shrieking tones, green pointed hats decorated with dancing shamrocks, Bulgarian scarves decorated with roaring lions, flags from both countries playing their national anthems when you waved them, little models of firebolts that actually flew, and collectible figurines of famous players walking across your hand with their chests swelling with pride.

"I've been saving my pocket money all summer for this," Ron announced. His eyes lit up with excitement as they strolled through the rows of vendors selling souvenirs. Serena let her eyes wander over the numerous souvenirs. She had no idea what to buy, for the choice seemed simply too great. Nevertheless, she wanted to have a souvenir of this extraordinary experience. Maybe she could even bring something for Hailey and Nate. Neither of them were really interested in Quidditch, but when Serena had told them that she was going to the championship, they had both been on fire.

There was a smoky scent in the air, probably from the numerous bonfires that had been lit all around. Curious, Serena looked around the stalls and finally stopped at a small wooden hut selling jewellery. Beautiful necklaces set in silver hung from a pole. Twelve in all. Each one had a different stone as a pendant.

"What month were you born in, girl?" she was suddenly asked by the seller with a strong Bulgarian accent. He wore a red hat with brown curls peeking out from under it, which merged into his beard of the same colour.

"December," Serena replied in confusion. She watched with a furrowed brow as the man nodded expertly and placed his brawny hand under the last chain in the row so that the blue-violet stone rested on his fingertip. "The tanzanite. Your birthstone."

"Birthstone?"

"Brings luck, protection and health," he explained and slowly Serena began to understand. Her gaze wandered along the other necklaces, which accordingly had to represent the other months. Then she looked back at the sparkling tanzanite, which shone towards her in a blue-violet tone. It was beautiful and, what's more, it was something personal. After all, it was her birthstone, as the seller had put it.

Serena's eyes lingered two chains away. October. Hailey would probably like it too. Her birthstone glittered in a wide variety of colours. Serena guessed an opal, but she didn't know much about gemstones. "How much is one?"

"Thirty," grunted the Bulgarian. "Forty with engraving."

Serena's eyes widened. "Galleons?"

"Da," he said in Bulgarian, which probably meant yes. Serena's expression fell. She was not prepared to spend that much on a necklace, let alone double for two. Disappointed, she muttered, "I'll think it over."

But the shop assistant didn't seem to care, because he was already busy with the next customer. Sighing, she joined her father, Ron and Harry, who were standing among a whole row of stalls, bending enthusiastically over some small player figures. Ron, who already had full bags in his hands, suddenly pointed to a cart with stacks of brass glasses on it. "Wow, look at this!"

"Omnioculars," the sales magician explained distractedly, his attention drawn to the potential clientele. "You can replay what you've seen, slow everything down, and they'll show you a short commentary on all the moves if you need it. Bargain price, ten galleons a piece."

"I wish I hadn't bought this stuff," Ron grumbled, scowling and lifting the bags he held in his hands, looking longingly at the Omnioculars. Serena wasn't averse to the helpful souvenirs either. However, she would not be able to do much with them after the World Cup.

Her gaze fell back to the jewellery stall, where a young man was being served who, with his expensive-looking dark cloak, was much more in keeping with the typical clientele than she was. Should she just buy the necklace she had liked so much and sacrifice all her cash for it, or rather a cheaper souvenir to go with the World Cup final? She heaved a deep sigh as a hand suddenly came to rest on her shoulder.

"We'll take four," her father decided with a broad grin. "All right, five. I bet Remus wants one too, even if he always claims not to like Quidditch."

"No, you don't have to do that," Ron hastily rebuffed, but his eyes remained glued to the Omnioculars, fascinated. Before Serena could object as well, the souvenir was already thrust into her hand. As expected, her father was not dissuaded. "Thank you!"

Afterwards, the Gryffindor strolled a little more through the rows of stalls and bought a total of three green glowing rosettes. One for her and the other two for Hailey and Nate respectively. It was a nice little souvenir in her eyes and also a reminder of the trip.

As the evening wore on, she didn't even think about the pretty necklace and by the time they made their way to the pitch, the stand was already boarded up. It just wasn't meant to be. Nevertheless, she marched happily and full of anticipation with the others towards the forest. None of them had any idea what was going to happen at the campsite before the next day dawned and rob them all of their sleep.