Chapter 7-Steamy Encounter

Start from the beginning

Tanner laughs heartily. "She didn't give it to me freely. In fact, I offered her a bonus incentive before she told me you spent the entire night talking and showering this other woman with attention and affection that should have been directed at her."

I scoff. "I wasn't being affectionate..." At least I don't think I was. I was just being nice. Leaning forward, I rest my elbows on my knees. "I had no idea Joanna would be there, it surprised me, honestly, and before I knew it I was asking them to join us." I sigh, running a hand through my stubble.

Remembering how amazing she looked, outside of the casual gym attire. Classy and effortlessly beautiful.

"Maybe I panicked—being alone with someone, one on one like that---and I don't know...maybe because I was familiar with Joanna, it felt more comfortable having her there, more natural."

"But wasn't she on a date, too?"

My jaw flexes, remembering that fucking dick she was with. "Yeah, but he was a class A controlling, douchebag."

Tanner snorts and my head snaps over to him. "Controlling? How in the hell can you determine that from just meeting the guy, Sage?"

"He didn't let her order a drink once he learned she is one of the participants of the boot camp and then he ordered for her like she didn't have an opinion or say in what she wanted to eat."

"Some women like that, man." He argues.

"Yeah, I know. Maxine being one of them, but Joanna wasn't having it and ordered something else."

Tanner laughs. "I can't wait to meet her."

"It's not like that, I was just looking out for her that's all. I barely know her."

It's true, I don't know her other than what I happen to catch and overhear during our training sessions. But I will admit, I like learning more about her every time we're together.

What am I saying? Shaking my head, I clear the image of her in that dress out of my mind and glance over at Tanner who's observing me.

He blows a low whistle. "Man, she's got a hold on you already and you don't even know it! Now I really have to meet her."

I roll my eyes. "I'm telling you Tanner, there's nothing there. And there's not going to be. I don't date clients."

"Or anyone for that matter." Tanner laughs, while I give him a dry look. "Come on, let's go another round before you really start sucking."

______________

"I'm home!" Tossing my keys on the small dish on the entry table near the door, I come to an abrupt stop when I round the corner and find Mei with an unexpected guest.

Mei turns to me with a soft smile on her face. "Sage, look who stopped by."

My father stands. "Son. It's been a long time."

"I'm surprised you remember where we live." Not bothering taking the ice out of my tone. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Mei clicks her tongue, but doesn't say anything. Shame comes over me, knowing I'm letting her down but when it comes to my father, I lose all sense of reason.

"Dad!"

Obie runs down the hall, the excitement on his face crushes me. Fully conscious of the sadness that will undoubtedly follow like always whenever my father makes one of his few and far in between visits.

"Isn't this great? Grandpa came to surprise me!"

My eyes shift back to my father, aware of the truth. When he visits there's always another reason—the true priority for his unannounced drop by's—not the paternal grandfather instinct that would be considered normal.