Chapter 55

Sophie isn't dead.

This was the thought swirling around in my head as I stalked across the moors.

Sophie isn't dead.

Tedros and Agatha weren't killers. They didn't have anything to do with her state. She was a victim of a sleeping curse.

I crossed into the forest.

Sophie isn't dead.

A tear ran down my face. I clenched my hands into fists, walking faster. They may not have killed Sophie, but they still took me away from Rafal.

Knowing that we loved each other.

A scratching noise made me stop. I looked up.

And saw a stymph.

I put a hand to my mouth and burst into sobs of relief. I was going home.

When it spotted me, it screeched, diving forward.

Or, tried to.

It was as if it hit a wall. It was then I realized that some sort of barrier was between us, keeping the stymph out.

And keeping me in.

"Y/n, no!"

I whirled to see Agatha, Tedros, Guinevere, and Lancelot sprinting toward me.

"Don't cross the barrier!" Agatha screamed, running faster.

I fixed her with a glare so cold it could freeze hell over.

Then I turned and started sprinting towards the stymph.

"Y/n!" Tedros yelled. "Don't do this!"

But I didn't listen. I ran faster and faster and faster, eyes locked on the stymph.

When I crossed the barrier, it was as if a weight lifted off my chest. And I realized that the feeling was Merlin's spell restricting my magic dissolving.

I spun, eyes glowing a flaming green.

Agatha gasped and stopped, everyone else halting behind her as well.

"I'm sorry," I said.

Then I jabbed my glowing fingertip.

Spiders crawled their way out of the ground. They skittered towards the group. Tedros yelled as they climbed his legs and arms, crawling all over his face. He stumbled, brushing off the critters, as the others began stumbling back.

I felt the stymph's talons sink into my shoulders. Then I was in the air, the wind whipping my cheeks.

I inhaled deeply.

I'm coming, Rafal.

***

When I fell into the School Master's tower, I didn't feel the pain this time. The moment I collided with the floor, I shot to my feet.

And froze.

Standing across the room was Rafal, pacing back and forth. When he saw me, he stopped, as if his body had turned to stone.

His glacier-blue eyes went wide.

Those eyes, I thought. I missed those eyes.

"Y/n?" he whispered.

I sprinted across the room, flinging myself into his arms.

He hesitated, as if he didn't believe I was real, before he exhaled sharply and pulled me against him.