Delivered - Short Story

One by one the tears fell, my screams coming to a halt as my voice was lost to the deaf ears of my captor.

He continued to torture me by hurting those I loved.

As the last member - a young girl of 8, stood on the rotting boards and the rope was tied around her neck I broke.

"Please! Please, I'll do it, Jason! Just don't hurt her! Please, Jason!" I screamed.

Jason stopped in his tracks with a Cheshire grin and allowed the girl to get down from the raised platform. As soon as her blindfold was removed she ran over to me and let her tears run free.

"Shhh.... It's okay Jasmine. It's okay." My voice was soft as her tears made her charcoal hair frame her face.

"I'm so s-sorry, mummy!" Her little arms wrapped around my waist, if my arms had been free I would have held her tight. My poor girl, at least she was safe now.

The moment was cut short as our torturer stepped up and tore my baby away from me. Would he ever let me see her again after this job of his was over?

My question was answered when I heard the whine of a long blade leaving it's scabbard. My eyes widened as I looked at him, he had promised that once I gave in he would stop.

What I saw next would stay in my memory for the rest of my years.

Jasmine fell to her knees with a sword impaled as her pale eyes lost the last of their life, her crimson blood staining the ground beneath her.

Shock and numbing silence rose around the room. I was fracturing inside, breaking. I had nothing now, how was I meant to stand without anything to stand for?

Pain changes people, it made me numb -made me stop trying.

I didn't move, didn't speak, I just hung limp in my chair next to the fallen body of my daughter.

Words left Jason's mouth but I didn't hear them, didn't want to hear them.

Two men dressed in dark robes with fox masks hiding their identity untied me and began to lift me away. I let out a gut-wrenching scream as I fought off the two only to slide to the ground and cradle my daughter's still, lifeless body.

There was only the sound of flesh hitting metal and a sharp pain before darkness swallowed me whole.

***

Something was sticking into my back. This discomfort made my eyes flutter open to see more darkness. I nearly went back to my slumber but the image of Jasmine hitting the floor jolted into my memory, waking me. I nearly went back to my slumber but the image of Jasmine hitting the floor jolted into my memory, waking me. Where was I?

My eyes focused in on the shadows around me, picking out the small grains of wood surrounding me.

As I went to lay back I hit the sharp object that had awoken me.

I wrapped my hand around the object to find it a cold metallic nail pinning a note to the wall of wood.

My dark eyes widened as I read the note;

You underestimated me you silly girl.

Have fun in Prythian, don't die too quickly.

-Jason

P.s. Always speak the truth, even if your voice shakes. It might just keep you alive.