Road to the Sanctuary

Start from the beginning

...There is also the third option, to just leave.

Now that I'm certain that Roswaal is planning something, I wouldn't mind turning around and going back to the capital, sure, Reinhard would be confused, but he'd figure it out himself when he gets here after his little hunt of the Great Mabeast.

However, there is one, tiny issue with that third option.

I'm just far to curious now. The individual that is Roswaal L Mathers, he is simply far too interesting for me to ignore.

I can't get a read on him, can't figure out what he's thinking... That alone makes me want to figure out the truth. Sure, curiosity killed the cat, but there is also no fun in life without danger. Though, in all honesty, I'm just saying that to convince myself to go and see what this is all about. After all, I would prefer to be in a more commander-like position in terms of battles, where I create strategies to beat my enemies instead of creating strategies AND fighting my enemies. Even with my power, I would much rather sit on the sidelines.

Unfortunately for me, if I don't go now, I have small hunch that I'll lose my best chance to figure out the person known as Roswaal L Mathers. I want to take the risk of falling into the clown's plan to see what he truly was.

High risk, high reward. How exciting.

Pleiades: If you're not coming with us, then that means...

I glanced over at Otto, who seemed glas that I had figured things out.

Of course, one might say that the fact Otto will be taking us there explains why Frederica won't be coming with us and why that is the reason that there isn't anything to worry about, but what truly has set off my instinct was the two day pause before we are supposed to depart.

Pleiades: Otto will be taking us there, of course to make himself more favorable towards me and Roswaal.

Otto's calm attitude shattered as he gasped and looked at a loss for words. He was probably thinking that I felt disgusted with him now that I figured out that he just wants be seen in a better light by an influencial figure like me.

In reality, I didn't really care. No, I was glad, honestly. I know what he wants and that's much better than the vague crap Lucifer has been giving me. I know she said what she said as a warning, but I don't really believe her. Especially not when she said that Authorities influence people. After all, that would imply that I was being influenced by something, which I considered ridiculous.

Lucifer: What a scumbag.

I doubt that she actually believed those words herself. She most likely just wanted to tease Otto, and by tease, I mean bully him.

And it worked as it almost looked like Otto's soul was about to leave his body.

Pleiades: Don't worry about it, Otto. You wearing your motive on your sleeve like that makes you quite likable.

In response, Otto covered his face with his hat to try and erase his embarrassment somewhat.

Pleiades: Frederica, feel free to tell us about the Sanctuary since we have time.

Frederica: Very well. What I am about to tell you is the undisclosed location of the Sanctuary of Clemedy, and how you enter it. And there is one name you must not forget as you travel there. Beware of the name "Garfiel."

Hm... when she first mentioned a person, I had expected it to be someone that would help us get there, but I guess there is a hostile power involved in this.

Frederica: At the Sactuary, he is the one with whom you must exercise the most care.

Based on his name and how she refers to him, Garfiel is most likely a male.

She then proceeded to explain how we would get to and into the Sanctuary for a couple of minutes. I had to pay attention as Lucifer just looked bored and uninterested in the whole thing.

After the explaination, I had went to my old room, the one I stayed in the last time I has been here.

As I got ready for bed, I thought on my decision to go along with whatever the clown had in mind for now.

I don't mind playing his game. In the end, no matter what happens... I'll win.

------------------------------------------------------------

On the day of when we had to leave, Frederica had given us a necklace with a crystal on it that apparantly allowed us to pass through the barrier of the Sanctuary.

Would have been nice to have been told that on the first explaination, but okay.

Me, Lucifer and Otto headed to the Sanctuary, now with a much more comfy carriage then Otto's. During the trip, me and Lucifer had some small talk, but nothing special as we wouldn't risk Otto hearing any of it.

Eventually, we made it to a road in a forest, which probably meant that we were getting close to the Sanctuary now.

Out of nowhere, the necklace which was around Lucifer's neck started to glow.

Lucifer: Oh?

I gave the glowing crystal a glance, but then ignored it as I figured that it was doing it's job by letting us through the barrier.

Imagine being stupid enough to panic and throw that thing out the window despite being told what it does. Can't really imagine it.

I did take the crystal off of Lucifer though as I wanted to see it up close.

Lucifer: Atleast we're finally done with all the traveling for now, I'm getting quite sick of it.

I ignored her as the glow of the crystal died down, after a couple of minutes the carriage suddenly came to a stop.

Out of curiosity, I looked out the window and noticed a large stone structure with a singular entrance.

I hummed to myself and stepped out of the carriage.

Otto: Pleiades-sama?

Pleiades: Do me a favor and entertain Lucifer until I get back, kay?

He looked like he wanted to refuse, but he clearly didn't want to upset someone as important as me, so he didn't say anything. I didn't bother to correct his fears as I was far too interested by the giant structure infront of me.

After walking for a short while, I entered the structure as I noticed the long hallway that ended with a single door in the distance. I made my way inside, but the moment I made it halfway there--

A sudden wave of dizziness hit me as I quickly leaned on the wall next to me.

Pleiades: Fuck...

Damn, why aren't the Eyes of Envy doing anything...?

Is this seriously not considered an attack? There is a chance that something might happen to me if I fall unconcious now.

Shit, It's like Petelgeuse again, I didn't consider the potential that magic had. Unlike the people of this world, I hadn't been born in a world of magic, so the potential of it slipped my mind.

Slowly, despite trying to resist it, my eyes closed as I fell unconcious.

----------------------------------------------------------

My eyes snapped open as I noticed my entire environment from before change. No longer was I in a dark hallway, but instead I was in a green field outside.

???: Oh, did I startle you?

Without hesitation I reached for the sword at my hip, but quickly remembered that I had left it in the carriage, so I just quickly turned around and saw a white haired beauty sitting at a tea table that had an umbrella to cover her from the sun.

???: It has been quite a while since I've spoken with anyone, so perhaps I was too eager. My name is Echidna...

Her smile got just slightly wider.

???: Or perhaps you would know me better as the Witch of Greed?

About 2000 words.