Father Mullincay

The warm-up drills helped work some of the soreness out of my limbs, which I think was part of the reason Redwar let it go on for longer than usual.  Then it was time to spar. 

Redwar paired me off with Valeria, and took Derrek to spar with himself.  Daxton went off into the woods, and we didn't see him again until we'd finished sparring.  I wondered what he was doing in there...

The drills had helped focus my mind, so I didn't take out any of my angst on Valeria.  But, on the other hand, neither of us went easy on the other.  Sweat broke out and poured freely from our brows.  My muscles were growing tired, but the rush of sparring also kept me going.  Redwar, despite working with Derrek, would also call out pointers from time to time.  

"Hit!" Valeria called as my sword, sheathed in leather, came up against the base of her neck.  I grinned and retreated.  That was my third hit, and now we were even, with three hits each.

"That's all for today," Redwar said.  

I lowered my sword and wiped my brow.  My sleeve came away damp.  

"I could see both of you were working on things that you needed to, which is exactly what this sparring is for.  You did good today, both of you." 

I nodded, breathless but happy.  That was a pretty high compliment from Redwar.

"I think," Redwar said as he looked around at all of us, "We're going to need baths before the celebration begins tomorrow."  

My gut clenched.  I'd forgotten that tomorrow was the Feast Day.  Looking over, I saw how my brother's face twisted.  When he caught me looking at him, his expression smoothed out.

I chided myself.  In my own grief, I'd forgotten that my brother would also be having a hard time.  I resolved to talk with him about it when I had the chance.

Just then, Daxton exited the woods.  Despite having been in the shade, his body too was covered in sweat, indicating that he hadn't been just loafing around underneath the trees.  That heightened my curiosity even more.  But he didn't say anything as he joined us.

Tired, and hungry, we trudged back into the town. At the square, they were building some sort of staged platform in front of the clock tower. The sounds of hammering accompanied us as we ate lunch in the tavern.

"I wonder what that's for..." Valeria murmured as she looked off in the direction of building.

I shrugged. "Maybe for some long speeches."

Redwar gazed off thoughtfully towards the platform building as well. "I wonder... I haven't seen a Life Giver priest in this town. It's unusual for a town this size."

I wrinkled my brown. Redwar was right. In a town this size, there was usually a Life Giver priest. But I had heard no mention of one.

After lunch, Redwar declared that we should go around the town and find ways to make ourselves useful. I didn't want to be useful to a Feast I didn't even want to celebrate, but that was how I located the Life Giver priest of the town.

I was wondering around, observing all that was going on, and stumbled across a rather round man who was trying to carry way too much wood for anyone to the building site of the platform. He was doing his best, but it was evident at any moment that he was going to drop one of those boards. As I came up to him, he stumbled and the pile nearly went tumbling.

"Here, let me help you carry those, sir," I volunteered, stepping up quickly and pressing my hands against the boards to steady them before they went flying all over the place.