Chapter 9: Do the Crime, Do the Time

Start from the beginning

"Then the four kingdoms of my dear cousin's empire,"

"HAHA! Fuck you, lizard breath!" guffawed Daisy.

"DAISY! *Ahem* Followed by Kong Country,"

Whooping came from the representative of Chief Cranky Kong.

"And finally, the Yoshi Isles."

No one saw any objection to the order. While King Boreas was hyperbolizing the damage to his army, the harm done to his kingdom was truly dire. Besides, the council was used to the penguin's dramatic tendencies so secretly appeasing him made their lives easier. Everyone began to gather their belongings but the princess stopped them. "One last thing, everyone!" she said. The other rulers gave her a puzzled look. Princess Peach motioned to the Super Brothers with her hand, "Mario and Luigi will be in charge of security, ensuring that King Bowser is behaving and going through with his sentence," she said.

Mario pumped his fists. "Of course, we will, princess! After all, we are the only ones who can put the king in his place."

Luigi replied with incoherent mumbling and trembling. Hmm... It would seem no one told him about this part of the plan. Poor guy probably thought it would be the last time he would interact with Bowser directly. Well, the last time they would ever interact would have been when he returned Junior to his custody, but faith had other plans. Peach beamed at his response, "Marvelous! In two days' time, the Darkland Army and the Super Brothers shall set course for the Snow Kingdom," she said.

With those words, the trial ended. Everyone (except for the accused and one terrified Luigi) rejoiced. Mario clapped a hand on his brother's back, oblivious to the latter's pale complexion. As the happiness reverberated through the room, King Bowser was lowered back to the dungeons. However, before he did so, he gave one last look at Luigi and nodded his head. The plumber gulped, unsure if that was a look of gratitude or some form of threat. Sadly, Luigi did not get the chance to ponder over this as he was dragged out of the courtroom and pulled into a nearby ballroom.

[XXX]

"HOW DARE THEY! HOW. DARE. THEY! YOU ARE KING BOWSER, POWERFUL RULER OF THE DARKLANDS! GENERAL OF THE KOOPA TROOP!" screeched Kamek. "How dare they make you do something as demeaning as- as..."

Bowser sighed. "Community service, pop."

The royal advisor flailed his arms. "YES, THAT! We are the victims here, not them! Who has endured centuries of avoidable misfortune? We did!"

"Kamek, calm down. You're getting your blood pressure up,"

The elderly koopa squawked, then crossed his arms. Bowser wrinkled his muzzle in disgust. The smell of this dungeon was making him sick; he just wanted to get his son and go home. If having to play Peach's game, then so be it. Kamek adjusted his broken glasses. "Your Maliciousness, how can you not be angry?!"

A blood vessel throbbed in Bowser's temple. "Trust me, Kamek, if it weren't for the fact Junior's in this damn castle, I'd be tearing it down brick by brick!" he bellowed.

In their rush to celebrate, the Council as well as the Super Brothers forgot to re-muzzle him. He could try and melt the chains right now and find his beloved son. But things were different. Even though he truly wanted to destroy the Toadstool Palace, Junior was much safer within its walls and in the care of Greenie. And besides, his people were safe. It sucked that they had to help him with his sentence, but at least his kingdom avoided being razed. Bowser tried not to think about how humiliating this was, but it was challenging.

A KING admitting he was wrong?

Never!

He will never admit it, for he was justified.

He'll just do what her Pinkiness said, minus the whole "rehabilitation" bullshit. This punishment's going to pass by quickly. Koopas were masters at construction, after all! Hell, the Floating Fortress was built in three days! Bowser bets he'll be done in a month's time. And once he's done, fine! He'll stay in his damn kingdom. If no one wants him around, he'll be happy to oblige. Not like these losers were worth his company anyway. Except... Except for Greenie. That's one confusing guy that Bowser really needed to figure out before leaving. After all, he was taking care of his son. Plus, he wanted to know why his son sounded so fond of him in his little letters. The kid probably doesn't know Luigi was one of the reasons he was here in the first place. Whatever.

He has a month to figure him out.

So, for now, Bowser's going to sit here and "behave." He will decipher what messed up game the little man was trying to play.