Chapter 2: Introductions

Start from the beginning

"That's quite obvious. It is expected that students who got into this school get preferential treatment, after all. Still, getting a monthly allowance of 100,000 yen still seems a little bit much."

I shook my head.

"No, you're not getting what I'm saying. She never said that we'll always get a monthly allowance of 100,000 yen. It is just what we get for passing the entrance exam."

Instead of the expression of understanding, I expected from the girl, Horikita from what I could read from her nameplate, she looked at me with confusion written all over her face.

"What do you mean?"

I rolled my eyes before glancing at Ayanokoji. He still didn't seem to react very much, but this time, he seemed more observant. Similar to a master martial artist judging the capabilities, of their opponent. Judging by that reaction, he already understood what I was saying and seemed to be quite surprised that I knew about it.

I grinned, ignoring Horikita's question.

"You already knew about it too, right?"

Ayanokoji didn't react for a moment. He then averted his eyes, before slightly tilting his head, as he spoke in his usual monotone voice.

"I don't know what you mean."

"Really?" I raised my eyebrow in response. "Then it seems like I was overthinking your reaction."

Well, reading other people was never one of my strengths anyway. I was quite sure, but it seems like I was just overthinking the situation.

"Hey! Stop ignoring me! What do you mean by that!"

Horikita seemed to be quite agitated, as she slightly raised her voice. 

"Ayanokoji, do you know what that girl is talking about?!"

She turned to Ayanokoji, asking him a question.

"No clue."

However, he only answered with a short sentence, not even bothering to turn his head to her. Mustering a weak smile, I started my explanation. Even though I wouldn't particularly call myself very social, I always loved learning and sharing information, so it was a situation I quite enjoyed.

"Look, Chibashira-sensei told us that we'll be evaluated by our merit, right? Our merit was already assessed by us passing the entrance exam, which is 100,000 yen. However, our merit could rise or fall depending on our performance."

I stopped before pointing to one of the cameras on the ceiling.

"Do you see that? It is probably not only there to watch over bullying, but also to evaluate us. However, this is all just speculation and I'm not 100% sure about it."

Even though my explanation made sense logically, there was still the possibility I was wrong, which is the reason why I avoided making clear statements. This is just what I've deducted from the small information we got.

Horikita thoughtfully stroked her chin, while whispering.

"This...makes sense..."

She seemed flabbergasted about my theory and focused her attention to me, opening her mouth.

"Just who are yo-"

However, she was interrupted by a male voice.

"Everyone, can you guys listen to me for a bit?"

A student who had the air of a young man raised his hand and spoke.

He looked like an honors student to me.