Chapter Three: Unveiling Truths

Confusion swirled within me, an upsurge of emotions colliding with the sudden discovery. It felt as if the ground beneath my feet had crumbled, trapping me in an unpleasant limbo.

My father's says sliced through the turmoil, revealing a reality I had never imagined—another family, hidden, and a position I had never desired.

"Shit," I mumbled, struggling with the unexpected upheaval. I'd always thought I was an only child, oblivious of any stepfamily or the complexities that had unfolded before me. Labeling oneself as a "bastard son" was a shocking and confusing realization.

My father's brush across the top of my head was an effort to mend the widening abyss of secrets between us. His stare revealed shame, but I remained oblivious to his feelings. I couldn't summon the expected rage or horror; instead, it seemed like I was watching a theatrical play, detached and unmoved.

"That's all right Dad." I forced out the words, hoping to relieve the uneasy tension. "We're still family—just you and me," I stated, steering clear of revealing the stepmother I had no idea existed.

A smile twisted his lips, but his eyes told a different story—one of disapproval that cut through my façade of indifference.

His quiet displeasure struck a chord with me—a stinging realization that resonated louder than his unspoken words. Did he not want me, or was he unable to see me as a member of his family?

The unanswered questions gnawed at me, causing a searing agony in my chest.

Despite my outward nonchalance, an invisible gap appeared between us—a hole I failed to comprehend or overcome. Amidst the turmoil, a pang of hurt tugged at me—a longing for acceptance—a longing for belonging that felt more elusive now than ever before.