Chapter 2 | Stay

"TELL ME, AMETHYST. Sigurado ka ba sa desisyon mong ito? Pwede ka pang umatras." Dr. Fenix said. He has this funny accent whenever he speaks tagalog because he's a British speaker. He's half British and half Filipino and even if he knows how to speak tagalog there was still this foreign accent he have.

I didn't thought about what he said because I'm already sure about my decision. I want to be there for Sage. I want to bring him light, I want to him to be better. I have this urge to guide him out of the darkness because I was once there before. It pains me seeing other people experiencing the effects of trauma. Sage is looking for comfort I just know it. He's looking for someone who will be patient with him, who can understand him. At kaya ko iyong gawin. I promise Sebastian, my old friend that I will be the better version of myself. And this is it. This is my own way.

"Sigurado ako, Dr. Fenix. I am sure about this. I know it will be a long ride and it will be difficult but the hard work will all be worth it. Sage needs comfort, patience, empathy, and understanding. I had gone through the darkest part of my life therefore alam ko kung paano ko maha-handle si Sage. I trust myself I can do this." I said with determined eyes. Dr. Fenix smiled proudly and tap my shoulder.

"I am proud of what you've become, Amethyst. Sigurado akong proud na proud din ngayon si Sebastian sayo." I smiled at his words. We bid goodbye and I made my way into the washroom to fix myself before starting my shift.

I look at myself in the mirror staring at the replica of Ruby Rose Villafuerte. I got every of her features except my black wavy hair that I got from my father. Remembering my mother the nightmares of the past flashed before my eyes. I blink a couple of times and do my breathing exercise to calm my nerves and to prevent those memories to invade my head again. To live normally and peacefully, I had to learn first how to live with those dark memories. I couldn't simply forget them nor remove them that's why I have to learn how to control it and as well as my emotions.

After feeling my heart now beating at a normal pace I tie my hair in a tight ponytail and fix my clothes.

Pagkatapos mag-ayos ay pumunta na ako sa room 13. I will announce to Sage that I will be his nurse from now on. Para rin makita kung paano ba siya magre-react pag nalaman na iyon. Pagkabukas ng pinto ay nakita ko ang gulat niyang mukha na para bang hindi makapaniwala na makita ako.

"Hello, Sage." I greeted him. He recovered from the shock and grin at me.

"Nurse Amethyst it's such an honor to be visited by a beauty like you." He said grinning from ear to ear. My eyebrows raised in amusement.

Is he flirting or what?

I chuckle and walk until I'm in front of him while he sat in his bed. 

"Well, you will be honored everyday because you'll be seeing this beauty every day from now on." I said and his eyes lit up. "I'm your new nurse Sage!" I exclaimed and he broke into a wide smile and excitement swirl in his eyes.

"Klaire no more? That's amazing because I'm sick of her presence." He said and I wince at his remark about my best friend.

"By the way I just came here to drop the news and I'll be leaving now." I said because I have to arrange some things in the medicine room. I smiled at him and turn around and walk to the door. 

"Wait..." I heard him said and the hesitation in his voice didn't go unnoticed to me. I quickly face him again and the playful glint in his eyes are now gone and replace with nervousness and hesitation. I caught it in his eyes before he look down on the floor. I look at his hands he's fiddling it with his white shirt.

"What is it, Sage?" I ask softly when he still hadn't speak after ten seconds.

"Can you... stay here for a little while more?" He asked.

Is he nervous that I might decline his request?

"Of course." I answered quickly. If I probably took a while to answer he might think I'm hesitating. He look up at me shock when he heard my answer.

"Really?" he asked again like hw couldn't believe what I said.

"Yes of course I can stay with you for a lot while more." I said with a smile.

"Oh thank you... None of my nurses really like to be in the same room with me." He said and I understand why. Klaire is afraid of him and she said his previous nurses too. So it must be why they didn't want to keep Sage company. 

Some of our special patients that suffers from disorders like example bipolar disorder have someone watching over them 24/7. While most can ask for company and Nurses are obliged to agree because it's part of their job.

"How about we talk while I'm here?" I ask and after a short while he nodded his head in agreement.

"Okay... I want to ask you, What do you like to do most?" I ask. Hindi simpleng yes or no ang sagot para ma-entertain ang isip ni Sage while answering the questions.

"I like spending my time in the garden." He answered without hesitation and it made me feel happy about it because he's freely having exchanging conversation with me.

"How about you...?" he returned the ask and smiled.

"Hmm... I like reading." I said and think of another open-ended questions.

"What is your full name?" I ask a basic one. I already knew but it's great to ask him to. So he will think that I'm interested in knowing him more.

"Sage Zaiden Zuville."

"And yours?" He asked back

"Amethyst Rina Villafuerte." I answered. I think of another question and one popped out in my mind.

"Can you tell me about your fears? It's okay if you're not comfortable..." I said while watching reaction. He thought about it deeply for a few seconds.

"I don't like the... the dark..." He mumbled and silence fell. Just when I was about to say something next he speak again. "The voices grew stronger when it's dark...." He sighed and I stayed silent to listen to him. "They became more vivid when it's dark...."

"Darkness is truly scary... I'll tell you one of biggest fear. I fear to be betrayed by someone I love. I once gave someone important to me my trust. I trust her with everything of me. She gave me so many reasons to trust her and I did wholeheartedly. But in the end, that trust is shattered to pieces. It almost cost my life because of it, trust is precious to me that's why it hurts me so much when it gets broken." I said. He stayed silent as he stares at me. The intensity of his stare makes me feel something. Like the fast beating of my heart.

A beeping sound echoed in the room and I check my watch seeing it's already 2:30 and remembered I have to finish my task in the medicine room.

"Oh... Looks like I have to go now, Sage. I will still see you later tonight don't worry." I said and and smiled.

"Already? But I feel sad here alone." He said softly.

"If you want I'll ask Klaire to keep you company while I finish my task." I offered and I see his eyebrows twitch it was probably annoyance but he still nodded in agreement. I called Klaire and waited for her to arrive before I leave the room with a frowning Sage that is glaring to Klaire.

• • •

He lost himself somewhere in the darkness.