55• |Adventitious encounters|

Începe de la început

Before Nandini could respond, he cupped her cheeks and placed a long kiss on her lips. "Thanks." She muttered when he pulled away. The flushed expression on her face floored him for the second time that day. She was the prettiest thing in his life and he felt grateful for having all of herself for just him.

The way she looked at the moment made him forget everything around him. He did not bother to withdraw his hands away from her face. She could not get herself to even look him in the eye given his intense gaze towards her. She shut her eyes when he leaned forward to place a soft yet long kiss on her forehead just near the crystal bindi which made her realise that he loved it when she wore them. She mentally made a note to wear them as much as possible only because she loved his reaction to her wearing it. She opened her eyes when he pulled away from the kiss and yet did not bother to tear his hand away from her cheek.

"Drive, Manik. You don't wanna be late to your own function." Nandini asked him to drive when he spent another two minutes staring at her and caressing her face with his fingers.

"Ptch... It is worth it." Manik shrugged. Nonetheless, he decided to drive towards his new office. Their staff, Sameer and Jeanette had already reached the venue. There was too much tension between the girls already so he did not wish to add to it by keeping them waiting for them.

"Why did you invite my parents, Manik? And were you even planning on telling me about it?" Nandini asked him with an irritated look after 10 minutes of driving silently. She was checking her phone's notifications because she was unsure if she would have time later. She was certainly happy she did. She received a message from Saeesha informing her that she and their parents would be attending the party that night.

"I'm sorry it slipped my mind with all the work. I actually invited them on the day I came by your place to apologize. Why? Are they really coming?" Manik rubbed the back of his neck as he explained his carelessness. It was not intentional that he hid it from her but amidst their fights, her accident, and all the work, it had actually slipped his mind.

"Yeah. Not now... They'll attend the party in the evening. Why? God! How am I going to explain all this?" Nandini updated him and then whined pointing at her injuries.

"It's okay, Nandini. They are not going to give you a hard time. I'm almost sure." Manik vocalized his intuition about her situation. He was sure that they are going to be worried when they see her but they'd calm down once they hear her out. Besides, she was getting the proper treatment and rest. How bad could it get?

"You better hope so... You are going to cover for me by saying that you haven't left my side since the time I was taken to the hospital, okay?" Nandini did not leave any wiggle room for Manik to argue or disobey. He shook his head in disbelief yet internally agreed to do what she was asking him to do for her.

"Okay. Now, relax, baby. We will deal with it when they get here. We are here so, let's focus on this pooja for now. Alright?" Manik reassured and then clicked his seatbelt open when he parked her TRoc in a parking space of his office that was reserved for him.

"Yeah, okay." Nandini mumbled and the two of them got down. Manik circled the vehicle to reach her side while she smoothened the creases in her saree.

"Listen..." Manik hesitated to ask what he was about to ask but he did not have much choice in it either.

"What?" Nandini asked him as she felt him intertwine their hands before they began walking towards the lift.

"Jeanette refused to sit in the pooja with Sameer because you know... I was wondering if you'd be willing to sit with me?" Manik asked Nandini in a very unsure tone. Even though he desperately wanted her to be there for him in every way, he did not want to force her to do such a big thing. He was aware of her strong religious beliefs and the significance of this for her. Even though he knew he wouldn't push her into it, he couldn't help but try it out once.