Chapter 22

There was only one thing the Star-Spangled Avenger, Captain America, could think as deadly, green energy blasts came hurling at him: thank God for Vibranium. Madame Hydra bombarded the SHIELD agents with dozens of more blasts, pinning them down behind a heap of rubble. The newly "appointed" leader of HYDRA laughed manically, firing bolts of energy into the air. Coulson peered over the rubble at the unstable villainess, "Yep, she's lost it."

"We need to get that crown away from her before she gets any worse," said Captain America. He turned to Yo-Yo, "We'll distract her for as long as we can. Once you see an opening, go for the crown." With that, Captain America leapt over the pile of rubble and charged Madame Hydra. The super soldier dodged and flipped away from the energy attacks fired at him. Bucky, brandishing his energy rifle, followed suit, running around Madame Hydra to find a blind spot. Captain America flung his shield at Madame Hydra, only for her to swat it away. Bucky took his chance and fired a flurry of particle blasts at the distracted Madame Hydra. Each one hit. Each one was shrugged off by the cackling villainess.

"You'll have to do better than that Barnes," Madame Hydra chided, firing a beam of energy at the Winter Soldier. Cap rushed over to Bucky, knocking his friend out of the way of the blast. Maria and Coulson rose from their spots behind the rubble and opened fire on Madame Hydra. They emptied their clips on the crazed head of HYDRA. Each bullet ricocheted off of her skin like they were made of rubber. With a smirk and a flick of her wrist, the guns flew out of their hands. Madame Hydra snapped her fingers, reducing the weapons to dust.

Madame Hydra raised her hands to deliver a devestating energy blast to the defenseless SHIELD agents but her attention was shifted to something much more annoying. Something like a boulder being chucked at her head. Madame Hydra's crazed eyes shot over to Dum Dum Dugan who was preparing to throw another slab of rock at her. She fired blasts at the running LMD as he continued to toss stones at her head. Mocking Bird and Agent 13 took the opportunity to sneak behind the distracted Madame Hydra. Mockingbird gave Agent 13 a nod before charging at their opponent. Mockingbird tossed smoke pellets below Madame Hydra, putting a screen between the two of them. She scooped up Captain Ameica's disgarded shield, using the vibranium weapon to block the incoming energy attacks being hurled at her through the smoke. Madame Hydra blasted the smoke away, getting a clear shot at Mockingbird. Once in position, Mockingbird flung the shield at HYDRA commander. Madame Hydra easily caught it but noticed something wasn't quite right. The weight was off.

She turned the shield over and saw a small device attached to its underside. Immediately, the device exploded in her face, making her drop the shield. Mockingbird caught the falling shield and ran back to cover. Madame Hydra waved away the smoke and saw Agent 13 aiming a grenade launcher directly at her. Rockets blasted out of the barrel directly towards the floating enemy. The rockets went of around Madame Hydra, engulfing her in a ball of fire and shrapnel. Unfortunately, to the horror of the SHIELD operatives, the roaring flames began to implode in to a condensed ball in Madame Hydra's hands. "I believe this belongs to you," Madame Hydra sneered, thrusting her hands forward. The flames shot out at the heroes in a pillar of burning death.

"Now," thought Yo-Yo as she sprang out from her hiding place. Everything around her seemed to slow to a crawl. Yo-Yo ran around Madame Hydra and reached for the Serpent Crown, her prize just fingertips away. Suddenly, Madame Hydra's hand shot up and wrapped around Yo-Yo's throat.

The mad woman cackled at her captured prey, "It was a valiant effort, but that was your last run." Yo-Yo began to struggle against the tightening grip of Madame Hydra, the crushing pressure making it nearly impossible to breathe. Madame Hydra was waiting patiently to hear the beautiful sound of Yo-Yo's neck snapping. Out of nowhere, a burst of energy struck her in the back, forcing her to drop her captive.