Olivia

*Present Day*

"In 5, 4, 3, 2, ," the director behind the camera signals the camera wiping toward the show's host and guest.

"And we're going to turn now to critically acclaimed journalist Olivia Baker who sits down with Robin Roberts for her first sit down interview since her article put famous Los Angeles restaurant out of business for denying work to a young black man because he had dread locks. The family owned restaurant owned by a white family was located in South Central L.A."

"Robin, good morning."

"Good morning George. And good morning to you too Ms. Baker. Thank you for siting with us this morning."

"Thank you for having me." The two become aquatinted as they shake hands.

"When you were writing this article, did you think it would spark this much conversation?"

"I hoped it would. I think often our voices are forced to be silenced. And the fact that a white family was profiting off of this community, but refused to hire them as well."

"This isn't the first time you've shared a story like this. It dates back all the way to your first episode of your award-winning podcast Liv The Truth a fro-yo owner kicked you and your friends out of her shop. Knowing first hand what that experience was like, what is your advice to young black teens, who make up majority of your following when dealing with these situations?"

"Don't let them take your voice. Silence fosters compliance."

"Beautifully said Ms. Baker. We'll be right back."

The show goes to commercial break.

The last few weeks had been a world-wind for Olivia. She never thought that her story would gain this much traction, making national news in only twenty-four hours.

Her phone busses as she walks down the New York City sidewalk waiting for her Uber.

"Hello."

"Good morning superstar," Laura boasts bashfully. "I just wanted to call you and tell you that you were incredible this morning. I'm so proud of you.

"Thank you mom." Olivia decided it would be a good idea to turn her business into a girl's trip with her mom. she figured it would be a good way to get her away from Los Angeles. Who ever said time heals all wounds lied.

"I have three more interviews today. CBS, CNN, and The Breakfast Club. I should be done around noon. I was thinking maybe we could grab lunch."

"That sounds like a great idea Liv. I would love that."

"Well I got to go mom my Uber's here. I love you."

"I love you too."
__________________________________________________________________

"So, have you talked to your brother," Laura asked mid lunch.

"Umm...briefly last weekend. He said he was getting ready for his court day with Michelle. He wants joint custody and she wants sole custody. But, That's just so she can get child support."

"Well we all told him not to marry her."

"You know Jordan likes to hand out engagement rings like he's Oprah. You get a ring. You ring. You get a ring. Everybody gets a ring," she teases at her twin brother's expense.

Laura plays around in her salad with her fork before asking a question that was sure to make her uncomfortable. "Have you talked to Spencer?"

She clears her throat. "No. Have you?"

"He stopped by the house last weekend. They played the Chargers."

"How is he?"

"He seems better. He looks good. He's up and moving around, he's back playing ball."

"That's great." A sad smile sprouts on her face.

It wasn't lost on anyone that Spencer had took their second break up harder than Olivia. This time Olivia was the one to rip off the bandage. After spending three months in London apart of GAU's BSU Cultural Exchange Program, she fell in love with the idea of traveling and discovering new places. She didn't want it to end. She decided to study aboard for her fall semester. She studied prison systems in Kenya. Spencer wasn't thrilled about her decision, but he supported her anyway. They did long distance for a while, until Jordan called her one night after he found his best friend in tears. It was then that she relished how much emotional pain she was putting him through. She called it quits the next day.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make things weird. It was just good to see him healthy again." Needing to get away from L.A., not only did he enter the transfer portal the next semester. He finished his collegiate career at LSU, he also distanced himself from the Bakers. He still couldn't deny how much he missed the family, especially his favorite Baker Laura. She always tried to reach out to the receiver.

"It's okay. I'm glad to hear that he's doing better."
________________________________________________________________
Settling in for the night, she sat up in her bed replying to emails, but she couldn't stop thinking about Spencer. She grabbed her phone and went through her old voicemails. A voicemail from about two years ago caught her eye. She pressed play.

"I miss you so much. I love you so much baby. Please come home," every word that he spoke was slurred as he pleaded with her. She got that one night after their breakup. The first thing that she noticed was that he was drunk. The next thing was the sadness laced in his tone. The voice broke her heart all over again just like it did the night she heard it.

A single tear falls down. He hadn't contacted her since this and she never tried.