She shrieked.

Nathaniel grabbed Zane by his ruff. Zane yelped as Nathaniel spun him over his head, building up momentum, and whipped him into the fog-covered woods. Mom heard Zane's howls, a thunderous thud then it went silence.

She didn't have time to mourn Zane because Nathaniel set his sights on her. His mouth was pressed in a straight line. There were no words strong enough to describe the fury raging in his glowing eyes.

Fear spiked down her spine as she forced her shaking body to stand. She held the stake defensively although she thought hopelessness already won.

I wanted to scream at her to fight for Zane's death, for Dad, for Katz, and for me.

Nathaniel moved in a slow predatory circle around her, keeping ten or so feet away. He was too far away for her to easily strike him but not far enough that she could run. He rubbed his fingers over his slick bloody chest, poking at the already healing hole. With a devious smile, he brought them up to his mouth, one by one, licking them. He was mocking her and she knew he disdained her attempt at staking him. She thought about stalling him through conversation again. Before she formed the first word, he ran full vampire speed toward her like a charging football player during playoffs.

The blur registered in her mind a second before she felt the blow. She sailed through the air, back first, into an oak tree, which she realized through dizziness when some of its knobby leaves drifted down. Throbbing pain seared from her back. She thought she might pass out. A quick assessment told her that the majority of it still came from her shoulder while a smaller amount come from a cut on her palm.

Forcing herself to a stand, Mom's eyes darted from side to side looking for her stake, Nathaniel or backup—surely, they had to be here by now. Between the fog and the swaying landscape, she couldn't find any of them.

But then, a cool hand trailed down her neck, continuing over her injured shoulder from behind. Her muscles instantly tensed. Turning, she saw no hints of Nathaniel's mesmerizing blue eyes because red rubies glowed in their place.

He whispered in her ear, "Margaret, my love, staking me was not a wise choice." His voice sounded different—deeper, darker, and more sinister.

 He rounded to her front, hovering close. He flashed his shark-like, gleaming fangs. Quivering, she reached up to push away his advances. His hand shot out, grabbing her wrist. Blood flowed from her palm in a thin ribbon. Nathaniel's eyes widened. His tongue slithered out between his fangs as he licked wound. She tried to pull away. His grasp tightened. She was too weak and disoriented. Conserving her minimal strength, she stopped with hopes he'd let down his guard.

Nathaniel let out a laugh of pure pleasure. He released her wrist to wrap his arm around her back. The other snaked behind her head, forcing it back. Panicking, she struck with her hands and legs with the last of her energy.

He pinned her against the tree. His fangs came closer to her neck.

Her breath was heavy. "No," she cried.

His fangs scraped against her neck a moment before they bit down, penetrating the skin. For a horrible second, the pain and intrusiveness was unbearable, then it disappeared, replaced by pure joy. It poured through her body like a rushing river flooded in torrential rains.