The Insurmountable Choice

Start from the beginning

"We have some very big news sweetie." Your mother beams.

"Oh?" You attempt to sound enthusiastic, but your mind is elsewhere.

Why did I leave Loki so abruptly like that? He hadn't said anything wrong.

"Gersemi... Prince Aster has requested your immediate return. He will begin his search for a bride the day after tomorrow." Your father announces.

"In two days?" You gasp, your full attention ripped into the conversation for the first time.

"Yes. Little bird... I'm so sorry, but our king passed in his sleep last night."

"May the Norns be with them... and what of the queen?" Your chest tightens.

"She has not left her chambers since, but sent the official announcement that Prince Aster will be searching for a bride just hours ago."

"I..." You whimper. "I don't want to go."

"Now, sweetie, don't be ridiculous. I know the timing is unexpected, but your family is here! What could possibly be holding you to Asgard?"

"I- well, my studies of course! And... I possibly met someone. Someone that has become quite important to me." Your face catches fire at your confession.

What are you thinking? You absolutely cannot tell them that you have feelings for a man they call Galdraormur!

"My dear, unless this person is the Prince of Asgard, we must insist you let it go." Your father commands.

"Well... it's funny that you say that because-"

"Heavens! Have you caught the eye of Thor, crown prince to the throne? That certainly would make our decision quite difficult!" Your mother grasps for her chest.

"Well, no, it's not Thor, but-"

"Then it is settled." Your mother commands. "Tomorrow, you will return home. Wonderful things lie ahead for our family thanks to you, Gersemi."

———————

You spent the entire evening sobbing. When you'd first entered your chambers, all of your emotions had exploded out of you in the form of rage. That was a feeling that had been entirely foreign to you before that moment.

You'd done an impressive amount of damage to your room- knocking over your dresser, breaking your vanity mirror, and to your own personal surprise, you'd snapped one of the posts of the footboard on your bed in half.

You now sit amongst the carnage in near silence, exhausted and sore, an occasional sob forcing its way out of you. You're pulled from your nearly trance-like state by a gentle knock at your door.

"Leave me alone." You wipe your nose on your sleeve.

"I can't do that." Loki's voice causes your stomach to jump into your throat. "You see, I came here looking for you after you'd stormed out of the library. When I arrived, I could hear you tearing your room apart. I'd like to come in to be sure you haven't hurt yourself." His words come out colder than usual- clinical.

"You'll just have to take me at my word. I'm fine."

"Gersemi... you and I both know that I can get into that room if I want to." You're shamefully a bit glad to hear a glimmer of his usual charisma back in his voice, even if what he's just said was a threat of sorts.

"Whatever." You huff, disgusted with yourself that in your failure to come up with a witty response, you've resorted to something that resembles an angsty teenager's bad attitude.