Is This Plot Point Necessary?

Start from the beginning

Q3: Does your plot point show/explain your character's motivation or goals?

This includes:

- Your character showing they have an emotional reason to be involved.

- A clear emotional understanding as to why your character makes the decision to engage in this plot point?

If the answer is 'yes', then you have just earned yourself $300. You may proceed to the next question.

If the answer is 'no', then your plot point is needs revising! You have left the game with $200.

Because, trust me, there is something just so odd about seeing a character do something that has nothing to do with them. Like, why, Brenda, would you buy coffee, when you hate coffee? If you did it because you wanted to try something different, then we have an emotional reason. If you did it to impress someone, then we have an emotional reason. If you just did it with no explanation behind it... then you're going to have confused, disengaged readers.

Q4: Is your point a point of no return?

This includes:

- Once the character is in the situation, there is no backing out.

- There is a backing out option, but with significant stakes involved.

- There is a backing out option, but at the expense of the character's desires/goals.

If the answer is 'yes', then you have just earned yourself $500. You may proceed to the next question.

If the answer is 'no', then your plot point is needs revising! You have left the game with $300.

Because, let's face it, if there is a troll on the bridge, but the protagonist does not need to get anything from the other side... then why would they bother? Just back out and get out. But if they need to face the troll because they have something to obtain from the other side, or they have a point to prove to someone -- now that is effective!

Q5: Does the plot point actually have complications that create conflict, tension, suspense, or mystery?

If the answer is 'yes', then you have just earned yourself $1,000. You may proceed to the next question.

If the answer is 'no', then your plot point is needs revising! You have left the game with $500.

I'll say it once. I'll say it again.

I am happy to read about Brenda buying a cup of coffee if it somehow creates tension. Like, maybe she is crushing on the barista. Maybe she wants to burn the place down because they misspelt her name on the cup. Maybe everyone in the store is pretending they don't know her. Maybe her coffee ends up tasting like burnt liver.

But if there is no tension, then there is no reason to see Brenda buy a cup of coffee.

Q6: Do your plot points all link together to create a climax or a dilemma?

This includes:

- Plot points that create the conflict.

- Plot points that escalate the conflict.

- Plot points that contribute to a solution.

- Plot points that contribute to learning about a solution.

- Plot points that raise the stakes.

- Plot points that make the character handle the climax in a different way due to development.