𝟐| 𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲

CHAPTER TWO:

TELLING A STORY

OXFORD UNIVERSITY, ENGLAND, 1962

THE SUN WAS SLOWLY beginning to set for the people in Oxford University, England as the usual bright blue sky was beginning to turn into the nighttime one on the planet called Earth. The streets around England were full of people as they walked together, couples having their arms linked while children ran through the many adults as they played games with one another, their parents trailing off behind them as the children ignored their shouts of slowing down, their laughter covering their voices.

On one of the streets, a rather classy bar could be seen with the lights on as people were coming in and out of the building. At one table, a now six year old Y/n Xavier found herself sitting beside her aunt as she drank the soft drink her father had ordered for her. As she did that, a bit older Raven Darkholme was leaning back against her seat as she watched an older Charles Xavier speak to a woman with heterochromia, two different colored eyes, convinced she was a mutant just like himself and Raven were.

Over the six years that Charles had been raising his daughter, he had learned along the way that her mutant powers were slowly showing up. It was when she was around three, almost four years old, that her abilities had first been revealed and it was slowly revealing itself through her six years of life so far. Rolling her eyes a bit at her brother figure, Raven rises up to her feet while grabbing her purse, holding her hand out towards her niece. Standing up, Y/n grabs her hand while they walk to Charles and the woman, Raven intervening about buying her own drink.

"Charles here was just telling me that I'm like one of the first sea creatures that grew legs." The woman tells her.

Charles nods as he holds his index finger and thumb close together. "A tiny bit sexier. I'm sorry. This is my sister, Raven, and my daughter, Y/n."

"Amy." The woman, now known as Amy, introduces as she shakes Raven's hand. "And what do you study?"

"Waitressing." Raven replies.

"You have really pretty eyes." Y/n compliments.

Amy smiles, chuckling. "Why, thank you. So do you."

The girl smiles as she plays with the skirt of her dress that Raven had helped her dress this morning, making Charles smile at his daughter. She had always been a rather shy girl. As Amy looks back up, Raven had been staring at her as her left eye turns yellow while her other one stays the same. Amy seems to notice this as her eyes squint, not having noticed that earlier, before they widen as a smile etches on her face.

"Oh, look, you have heterochromia, too." Amy points out.

Charles raises a brow. "Sorry, what?"

Amy points at Raven. "Look at her eye."

Deciding to follow her gaze, Charles makes eye contact with Raven to see that one of her eyes were in fact a different color than they had been. Trying to hide his annoyed expression, the man tells her to grab hers and Y/n's coats while he grabbed a bill from his coat pocket. With the help of Raven, Y/n got her coat on before meeting up with her father after bidding his goodbyes to Amy. The man held his daughter's hand in his while stomping out of the bar with Raven right behind them.

"Don't talk to me. You did that on purpose." Charles accuses.

"I did not!" Raven protests.

Charles rolls his eyes. "Yes, you did!"

"Why would I do it on purpose? You know I can't control it sometimes if I'm stressed or tired." Raven reminds.

"You seem to be doing a perfectly good job right now." Charles comments.

"'Mutand and proud'." Raven mocks. "Or is it only with pretty mutations, or invisible ones like yours? But if you're a freak, you better hide."

"You're being ridiculous! Look, I don't mean to sound like an old fart." Charles begins as they come to a stop.

"Which you are." Raven fires back, receiving a giggle from Y/n.

"Sometimes." Charles agrees with a sigh. "But we've talked about this, Raven. A small slip up is one thing. A big one does not bear thinking about."

With that, he turns around and walks off, his hand having released from his daughter's when they had came to a stop. Y/n glances up towards her aunt, noticing she had a down expression etched onto her face. Not liking to see her upset, the six year old reaches up and grabs the woman's bigger hand into her smaller one as she leans on her side. Feeling this, Raven looks down as she lets a smile come onto her face while they follow behind Charles hand in hand.

* * *

It had gotten darker and darker outside in the city of England. People could still be seen on the streets late at night as workers were finishing up their shifts for the night, ready to head back home to their families or pets and fall asleep in their beds or the sofas in their living room.

Lights could be seen through the windows that belonged to the apartment buildings, showing that quite a few civilians in the city were still wide awake as many of them were preparing themselves to head to bed before they'd have to get up the next day and work for a couple hours like they always do in their daily lives.

Inside the Xavier residence, Y/n's bedroom was neatly decorated like it had been when they had first moved to the house they now live in, Raven having decorated it for the girl she considered a niece. The moonlight was shining through the girl's curtains as she jumped into bed, pajamas now on her body.

Charles was trailing behind his daughter, turning off the bathroom light after she had been brushing her teeth before he sat on the edge of her bed, helping her place the covers that always laid on top of the mattress as her head hits the pillow.

"Daddy, can you tell me a story?" Y/n asks, looking up at him with hopeful eyes.

Charles raises a brow. "A story? Well, I guess I can do that. What story would you like to hear, love?"

Y/n shrugs. "Anything. Come up with one."

"Alright, let's see." Charles begins, clearing his throat. "Once upon a time, there was a princess who had... special abilities. A mutation... just like her father. This princess was loved by everyone, especially by her father and her auntie. All the princes in the land wanted to be friends with her, except they'd have to get past her big and scary father."

At the end of his sentence, Charles had tried to put on a 'scary' expression as he brought his hands up as if pretending they were claws and hovered over his six year old daughter before he moved his hands down and began tickling her sides, moving the side of his face near her face to tickle the side of her neck.

Still laying down, Y/n heard herself let out high pitched giggles as she shifted in her spot on her comfy and big bed, trying to get her father to stop the tickling through her laughter. After a couple seconds, Charles was chuckling while he sat back and fixed the covers on her body, brushing some the strands of her hair back.

"What happened next?" Y/n questions.

"Well, while many princes wanted to be friends with the princess, one prince was able to achieve that goal and they became best friends. This prince was a troublemaker, and he was quite fast. However, the princess was able to make him better because they were friends. Now, her father--" Charles continues.

Hearing soft snores, the man stops himself from continuing as he looks down to see his six year old was now fast asleep. He chuckles, remembering all the time she'd fall asleep almost right away whenever he'd read or tell her a story. Standing up, Charles leans down and presses a kiss to her forehead before venturing in the direction of her bedroom door, grabbing the handle and closing the door behind him as he steps out into the hallway of their apartment.