8; Slovenly Bested

Abuja.

ABBAS and Jaleel made their way out of the hotel they'd stayed in for a night. They've bid their friends adieu the night before after they've eaten to their fill and surprise, someone paid for their bills. Abbas was happy even though he didn't show it. Being with Surayyah taught him not to spend money hazardously which is why he was reluctant to pay fifty thousand naira for one plate of food that didn't fill his stomach. Being economic.

"We haven't forgotten anything?" Jaleel asked again turning around to look at the hotel because it felt like he's missing something.

"No. You're always this paranoid." Abbas murmured, dragging his friend out of the hotel to the waiting cab outside.

And not to forget how expensive transport is in Abuja. From the hotel they're staying to Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport is three thousand naira. Just what is there in Abuja that's making people's lives hard? And they always love to brag that they are in Abuja. Living a fake life? He can never for the life of him get why people adore the place only wealthy people can stay in. This is no place for the poor, they should know that.

They took the cab but on their way, a black filled with thugs stopped them short. Abbas and Jaleel were relaxed knowing they did nothing to anyone and no one knows them. If they want money, then they are sickly mistaken, at the wrong place, it won't come out from either of them. They are going to fight tooth or nail for that to happen. Unfortunately Abbas is without his gun, he would've intimidated them with it like he's always done.

"Get off the damn car!" One of them shouted in pidgin, pointing a long gun at the back of the car where the two of them sat.

Confused, they opened the door and stepped out along with the driver. Jaleel was immediately pushed aside to the sidewalk hitting his head in process, Abbas went to help steady him when the back of a gun hit behind his head making him stagger forward with a wince. No second later they all descended upon him like bunch of leeches sucking blood off of him.

The terrified driver peed his pants without knowing, eyes wide with fear as they mercilessly hit his passenger while Jaleel was held down by two men, any move of stubbornness get him a hit or slap so he stopped struggling. Abbas on the other hand was beaten to pulp, his hand probably dislocated or entirely broken alongside his leg. He coughed blood! His eyes were red with blood as it strolled from his forehead down his face like rain.

When they were done, they filed into their car that has no freaking plate number and zoomed off the street. They didn't collect their wallets, their doubtlessly expensive watches or maybe the car. They just wanted to beat the crap out of Abbas and they did. What was that for? Who's he wronged in Abuja to deserve this?

Jaleel rushed to his friend almost tripping on his way. "Let's get you to the hospital. You're badly injured or broken in this case."

"We'll be late for our flight. Let's just go to the airport and I'll wash off there" Abbas grunted as he argued, tried shifting his left leg only for him to bite his tongue in pain.

"If you like, continue arguing. I don't know if the plane is more important than your health. Besides, they won't allow you inside like this."

"They will! We'll tell them it was a car accident or some shit. I want to leave this shitty place."

"Not more than I do but not without your injuries treated." Jaleel murmured sternly, touching places to earn reactions from Abbas so he will know where to exact pressure when picking him up.

Abbas gnashed his teeth then opened them to talk. "I'm fine. Don't argue and let's go."

"I won't argue but we are going to the hospital. Final." Jaleel ordered in that austere tone that makes children stop misbehaving immediately.