012. A Great Ball

Start from the beginning

"I know, I know," Naenya comforted, gently lifting Rhaenyra's chin to meet her eyes, "But Alicent isn't fully to blame. As much as you'd hate to admit it, she's also had a great wrong done to her. By her own father too, just like you,"

Rhaenyra scoffed, rolling her eyes. Sarcastic comments were rolling off Rhaenyra's tongue, but Naenya preferred to ignore them.

"But," Naenya began, giving her sister a playful smile, "If you hate her, then so do I. By the Gods, she is the worst person I've ever met. Also, she does not suit red at all."

Rhaenyra's sour appearance morphed into a much happier one, pulling Naenya in for another hug, "I've missed you,"

Naenya placed her hand softly on her sister's cheek. She hadn't smiled in such a sincere and truly content way since she had departed Riverrun. 

She had gone many months without another dragon by her side. Standing in an open plain with nothing but her wits, she was fresh pickings for the hungry lions who wished to covet her for their feast. Birds circled above her, watching her closely. Even the mighty Stag, who seemed interested only in the grass she stood on, seemed to hold a glint of secrecy in its eyes. She couldn't take a step back, the beautiful flowers that grew strong behind her would surely try to fill her with thorns until she bled. 

But, as she grew weary, the cries of dragons returned her strength. 

"I missed you too," Naenya said, her voice hardly floating into Rhaenyra's ears, "Dragons should never be separated for so long. It weakens us,"

Rhaenyra nodded along, letting out a great sigh. One she must have kept hidden for some time. 

"Now, enough of the family reunions," Naenya clasped her hands together, "I have a strong presentiment that I will be betrothed by the end of this night. Now, despite a room full of potential suitors, I feel I will have slim pickings. I need my sister to help me with that,"

"Won't father wish you to marry Laenor Velaryon?" Rhaenyra asked, knotting her brow, "Viserys mentioned him before, wishing to make the Sea Snake happy,"

Naenya rolled her eyes with a knowing smile, walking towards the dresser that held all the potential jewellery she could wear for the night. 

"Oh, I'm sure that would make the Sea Snake jump with joy," Naenya hummed, her fingers running over the golden chain that held a petite crimson dragon, "But the Sea Snake can be appeased in other ways. I do not need to strengthen the Valaryian line to strengthen my position on the throne-"

"But you don't need to strengthen your position to the throne. It's yours by birthright. Father gave it to you," Rhaenyra started, her face creasing at the comment.

"What I do need to be doing to strengthen my position on the throne," Naenya continued, ignoring her sister's comment, "Is permanently gain one of the Great Houses' loyalty,"

"Through marriage?" Rhaenyra questioned, her mouth parting as the crease in her brow deepened, "I don't understand why you that would matter. They pledged their loyalty to you. You have it,"

Naenya smiled sweetly at her sister, her smile similar to a smile you would give your favourite daughter after they ran off three maids. 

"I already have the loyalty of House Stark, they pledge with their whole heart, and House Velaryon - or rather Rhaenys - would never go against my rule. House Tully has no sons anywhere close to my age, but I know I have secured a strong loyalty from them," Naenya explained, picking up earrings that each had golden spider webs encapsulating a blood ruby stone, "But the other houses? Marriage would do well,"

Placing the earrings in, she gave her appearance a once over before picking up a bracelet of Valyrian steel and examining it. Naenya's Valyrian steel was far more dainty than the Valyrian steel Daemon had gifted Rhaenyra. 

"Here, I wish you to wear this," Naenya said, holding the bracelet out for Rhaenyra to see, "A gift,"

Rhaenyra smiled, holding her wrist out for Naenya. 

"This may be a man's world, but I know I can make it mine," Naenya spoke softly, only wishing for Rhaenyra to hear her, "But to do that, I need you. I'll always need my little sister,"

Author typing...

There'll be some hecticness in the next few chapters

There'll be some hecticness in the next few chapters. Woot. And lots of memes, but I really wanted to have a chapter with just Rhaenyra and Naenya. They are close sisters, after all. 

I might do a double update for the next chapter, what do ya think?