Chapter 5

Bradley pulled up to Nova's house just before 7. He grabbed a bag that contained Kit-Kats, M&M's and gummy bears knowing whatever conversations that would be had tonight would need help. And these just so happened to be Amelia's favorites.

He walked right into the house, calling out as he did so. "How many times have I told you to lock the door? I don't care if you know I'm coming over."

Nova just shrugs as she looks up from the kitchen. "Yeah, well. Lia's helping me with dinner, so neither of us would have been able to open the door."

He walked into the kitchen to see both girls covered in flour. "Did the flour attack you?" Bradley asked sarcastically. This had happened so many times, he knew exactly what they had been up to.

"The cookies are in the oven. Should be done and cooling by the time we finish dinner," Ameila explained, wiping her hands off.

Nova was at the stove. "And before you ask, it's simple spaghetti tonight. I really didn't feel like trying."

The others just laugh, knowing that when Nova feels lazy, pasta is her go-to meal. Amelia gestures to the bag in Bradley's hand. "What's in there?"

"Considering the conversation we left off with at the base, I figured reinforcements would be necessary," he explained while putting the candy on the counter.

Amelia looks incredibly touched that he had thought about her before coming over. She just goes in and hugs him, refusing to let go for a few minutes. By the time they end their hug, the pasta is ready and dinner is served.

"Ok Lia. Pick the first movie of the night. We can get it started while we eat," Nova told the teenager. And because it was going to be a heavier night, Amelia chose a comfort film.

Tangled.

Bradley just groans while Nova laughs. "Why did I even ask," she says while queuing up the movie.

They eat while watching Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder, sorry Eugene Fitzherbert, meet for the first time.

Bradley helps Nova clean up the plates so they can give Amelia some time to gather her thoughts on the topic at hand tonight. They decide without even having to check with the other to let the movie finish before talking with her.

And once the movie is over, they turn to Amelia. Nova sits on the couch next to her while Bradley is in the chair on the side. Amelia just sighs, knowing it was coming before she sits up from where she was leaning against Nova.

"Can you explain what you meant by not only breaking your mom's heart whenever he leaves?" Nova begins, asking the question softly. After all, no matter how much Bradley was like a son to Maverick, Nova was his actual daughter. She knew the effects better than anyone.

Amelia takes a deep breath before explaining. "He's been more of a father than my actual dad, especially in the last couple of years. So every time he leaves, it's like my dad is walking out on me again."

Neither Nova nor Bradley know what to say. Bradley hasn't seen the effects since he's been gone for a while but Nova noticed that things had been a bit off for Amelia.

"And it sucks, because yea he and Mom have their weird relationship that they think we don't know about," Amelia continues. "But he treats me just like he treats you guys and JJ. I don't think he does it knowingly, but he's so used to it because of you three that it's instinct for him. I love that because it's like having a dad who actually cares about me and what I like. But then he does something to piss another person off and gets sent to the opposite side of the world and we don't see him again for a year or more."