ONE

CHAPTER ONE: the Twins

Months Later

ONE NIGHT IN 1922, THOMAS, THEO, JOHN AND ARTHUR WERE DOWN AT THE GARRISON.

Tabitha was alone with Polly and Esme in the Shelby house with a cup of chamomile tea, her favorite, and a stack of biscuits, a craving she had with the baby. She sat at the kitchen table, munching on a biscuit while her back was hurting, which put her in a grouchy mood.

Polly, Esme, and Kezia were sitting on both sides of the pregnant woman. Esme was pregnant as well, but only six months behind Tabitha. The more the months had passed by, the more symptoms Tabitha came across. Her back aches became more painful urge point that it was too difficult to sleep. She was hungry more than usual, since she was feeding two people and that child inside her had a love for food. There were certain smells that made her throw up if they were too potent.

Thomas did all he could to make Tabitha comfortable throughout her pregnancy. He tried to stay on her good side since she experienced mood swings later on. John and Arthur were too scared to even talk to her because they believed she would beat them to a pulp if they said one word. However, both brothers were quietly betting on whether the baby was going to be a boy or a girl. In the later months, Polly was able to use her magic to tell Tabitha and Thomas the gender of the baby, and they were both pleased with the result.

"Here, darling," Kezia said, handing her daughter a cup of hot tea. "This will help sooth you."

"I doubt it will, but thank you," Tabitha said, accepting the cup. "It's been five days since the due date. What's taking so long?"

"Well, sometimes it takes a couple more day to prepare. I believe it'll be sometime this week," Polly said, stomping out her cigarette.

"Well, I'm ready for it today."

"I know how you feel," Esme spoke. "I'm already experiencing morning sickness. Literally threw up this morning when I got out of bed."

"Oh, it's gets worse. I finally understand what Ada went through with Karl," Tabitha said before taking a sip of tea. "Mum, I don't know how you were able to go through this four times."

"Well, you and Theo were my most difficult pregnancy. It's usually difficult when it's your first child," Kezia answered.

"And who was the easiest?" Esme asked curiously.

"Charity. She was the one with the fewest symptoms."

"Of course it's Charity," Tabitha said. "Even in the womb, she was the calmer sibling."

Tabitha finished her tea and felt extremely tired all of a sudden. "Mum, can you help me up? I believe it's time for bed."

Tabitha tried to get up on her own, but from how heavy her baby bump became, she wasn't able to. Kezia helped her daughter up from her chair and walked around to help her friend up. That's when Tabitha released a loud gasp, feeling a large cramp in her lower abdomen. What followed a little after was a pool of water came leaking from her and began making a puddle on the floor. Kezia and Esme's eyes widened in shock as Polly immediately jumped from her seat, knowing exactly what was going on.

"Holy shit, your water's broken," Polly said in shock. "We need to get you to your bedroom now."

"I can't do this now, Tommy has to be here," Tabitha shook her head. "He has to be here for the birth of our baby. He has to be here."

"Tabby, don't worry, I'll go fetch him and bring them here as fast as I can," Esme said, quickly grabbing his coat.

"Come one, Tabby, let's get you upstairs," Kezia said.