Chapter Twenty-Seven: A Billion Possibilities

Start from the beginning

"My fault, I supposed," he says.

"Probably."

"How about if I tell you the first three numbers?"

"You already did."

"I meant the next three."

"So there would only be four numbers to figure out?" I Google again. "10,000 possibilities."

"That sounds reasonable."

I pick up the pillow behind my back and throw it at him. He catches it easily and tosses it back.

"You're joking, right?"

He shrugs. "I think it's romantic."

"For me not to have your phone number?"

"It adds a sense of mystery. Also, you can always Facebook message me."

"Are we even friends on Facebook?"

He takes out his phone and my phone pings a moment later. I check it. It's a friend request from Ben. I accept it. I'm not going to do this in front of Ben, but later, I'm going to go check if he's removed all his photos with Rachel. Because obviously, right? That's not weird, it's normal.

"You have your notifications on, on Facebook?" Ben asks.

"Yeah, of course. You?"

"No."

I sigh. "So it's not really a way to get in touch with you."

"I'd see it eventually."

"Do you check Facebook every day?"

"Not normally."

What have I gotten myself into?

"Ben."

"Chloe."

I try to keep my voice steady. "Is there some reason you won't give me your phone number?"

"I'll give it to you if you really want it. But ..."

"But? How is there a but?"

"I know it's a bit silly, but it just kind of feels like if you figure it out on your own then we'll know that we were meant to be together."

"You don't know that already?"

"Of course I do, yes."

"So," I say, trying to keep my tone light but struggling, clearly. "Are you writing romances on Wattpad?"

"What? I don't even know what that is."

"Just ... didn't we go through this already?"

"How so?"

"I had to find you once. Why go through it again?"

"I'm right here."

"You know what I mean. Like today. I wanted to ask you about Kit's party and I couldn't. It didn't feel good."

"I'm sorry. I didn't want that. That's ... I'm sorry."

I get a sinking feeling in my stomach. "It's not because you have doubts, is it? You don't think we should be together and you want a sign from the universe?"

"No, Chloe, no." He reaches for me, hauling me across the couch so that I'm facing him, and brings his lips to mine swiftly. He kisses me, hard, wrapping his arms around me, then pulls back before I can respond. "I'm being stupid. Of course, I want you to be able to reach me whenever you want." He kisses me again and in a moment, my knees are feeling weak.

There's something chemical between us that's been there since the beginning and seems to keep growing each time we connect. It doesn't take long until his kisses drive every thought and every doubt from my mind. I just want to get lost in this kiss forever.