"We followed you, Thomas, and now you're telling us you don't have a plan?" Emma knew Newt wasn't actually angry with Thomas. He was lashing out because of his fear. "You have no idea where we are going or what we are doing?"

"Wait," Aris said. Emma glanced at the unfamiliar boy. "Janson said something about people in the mountains. It was some sort of resistance or army."

"The Right Arm," Thomas finished for him. "If they are against WICKED, then they might help us."

Newt looked utterly baffled like he couldn't believe what he was hearing. "People hiding in the mountains. Mountain people. That's your plan?"

"Newt," Emma spoke up. "I don't think we have any other options."

"Emma is right. This is our only choice."

"Hey, guys," Winston spoke. "Come here." Emma turned around, noticing the boy kneeling on the ground. "Minho, shine the light over here." He did as told. Shining the light where Winston pointed, the group noticed footprints. "Someone's been down here."

"Okay," Thomas muttered. "Let's go."

They followed the footsteps deeper into the building. Emma wasn't sure about anything happening around her. Nothing made sense, but she couldn't focus on the unknowns. Right now, they needed to find a place to rest.

Minho stopped at a door, where the footsteps led. He shared a look with Thomas, who seemed to understand. "Let's open this." The two grabbed the bottom and opened the door. 

Inside was a room with sleeping bags and abandoned lanterns. Someone had once stayed here, but it was clear they were long gone. Everything was covered in a thick layer of dust. Emma picked up a flashlight for herself before handing one to Jack. Frypan turned on the lantern, illuminating the room in a gentle glow.

"I think people lived here."

"Where are they now?" Emma wasn't sure and didn't want to think about it.

Thomas grabbed a jacket. Dusting it off, he slid it over his shoulders. "Pack some stuff. Anything you think we might need." Emma inspected the room. "We'll split up. Search the building before meeting back here for the night. Sound good?"

"Yeah," Newt agreed. "Here." He tossed Thomas a flashlight.

He easily caught it. "Thanks, Newt." The blond nodded at him before looking away. "Be careful, guys."

"We will," Teresa promised him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was cooler in the building. The first thing Emma did was find a backpack. Something that wasn't torn and would last. She wasn't sure how long it would take to find the Right Arm and wanted to be prepared.

So far, it was stuffed with flashlights and water. She had yet to find any food, only wrappers. Teresa was by her side. Jack a few feet away, fingers gliding over dusty shelves. He looked up, catching her eye. The short boy offered her a friendly smile. Something she was unable to return even if she wanted to.

Emma was exhausted mentally, emotionally, and physically. Since escaping the Maze, she rarely found sleep. Her dreams were nightmares that consisted of Gally dying. A piece of her died in the room he did, and Emma feared she would never get it back. Deep down, she knew things would never be the same. She would never be the same.

She thought when they escaped, their troubles would be over. How wrong she was. Things were harder than ever. Gally was gone. WICKED was after them. She didn't have a home. Nowhere was safe.

It seemed Gally was right, after all. He didn't believe in anything after the Maze. Said if things were harder, she wouldn't survive. Emma knew he was right. She couldn't imagine surviving this.