~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clare walked up the steps to her door and stuck the key in. Please let my parents not be here, she thought. The last thing she needed was her mom's intrusive questions right now, or her dad's unsolicited advice. They can't even take care of their marriage, so they definitely can't help with this.

Luckily, the rain held off for the most part until she settled into the couch and put on the TV. Any distraction was welcome to her furrowed brow right now. She just started to doze off when she heard the sound of shoes coming up the steps to the door. She jumped up, hoping that it would be Eli, but was disappointed to see Fitz' hair through the peephole.

"Fitz.... You can't be here, please..." She begged, pressing her forehead to the chilled front door.

"Please, Clare. I'm sorry, if I had anywhere else to go, I would. Trust me."

Clare sighed and opened the door to a beaten, soaking wet Fitz.

"Oh, my god, get inside! What happened to you?!" She grabbed him by the jacket and yanked him in, tearing it off of him as soon as she shut the door. He shivered and stepped further inside.

"It's not important. I deserved it for the things I've done... I don't even know if I believe in GOD, Clare. But I know I just want someone to believe in me...." He sobbed. Clare bit her lip, nervous and unsure of what to do. The very man Eli forbid her from seeing was crying in her living room.

"Stay here. PLEASE. Don't move. I can't have you in here without at least calling him, Fitz. I can't." Clare grabbed her cell and flipped it open to call Eli, still not sure what she would even say.

"Before you call, please let me say this. I don't want to push you away from Eli, but you deserve someone who understands forgiveness, Clare. You are too sweet for someone like him. He has to change to deserve a girl like you!" Fitz grabbed her shoulder, pleadingly. Clare shook him off and hit the call button, dialing Eli.

"Eli, I want to talk. Please don't hang up..." She exclaimed, sheepishly. The line was silent.

"I know you're there. I'm trying to do the right thing here. I love you. I walked home, but... Fitz showed up at my door, and I let him in but he's just in the foyer. I didn't feel right not calling you first. He's hurt. Please, Eli. Please talk to me!" Clare stomped her foot in desperation.

"Clare, babe... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have acted like that, not in public at least. I love you, and I'll listen, just... please, just don't leave me..." Eli tried to hide his crying. Clare choked up, hearing the words she was desperately hoping he would say. She could barely get a response out.

"I'll come to you, right now. But... I don't want to do this in front of Fitz. He may have found forgiveness through God, but I'm a much more fickle man. He's going to have to show me a lot more if he wants to speak to you again." The couple exchanged their parting love and hung up, Eli rushing to her house as soon as he could. With that, she turned to Fitz.

"I'll dry your clothes, and then I want you out. And don't think I forgot your comment about Eli." She snapped. Fitz dropped his head into his hands, crying.

"Clare, please Clare, I just need you to listen to me. I'm so confused.... I thought it would get better but it just doesn't make sense..." He sobbed, barely audible over his snotty crying. Clare threw her arms up, finally at a loss for words.

"Fitz, what is going ON?! All this time you keep begging for help but I don't even know what you need help with! You like me, you don't like me, you hate Eli but you want his forgiveness, and why did you even get beat up?! I can't help you if you don't tell me something!" Clare yelled, slamming her hand down on the table. Fitz slid down, sitting against the wall. They both took a moment to process everything, chests heaving from two very different emotions. Before they got a chance to talk, Eli opened the already cracked door. He frowned when he saw the man he hates crumpled on the floor.