8. Funeral

Visenya always found herself fascinated by the ocean. It was a true mystery why, but she liked to blame her grandfathers and the stories they would heard from sailors. Her father, Laenor, was no exception. Every night, before sleeping, he would tell her stories about sirens which would lead the sailors into big seas, or huge creatures which are guarding treasures forgotten by the world. All those stories, all those moments, only made Visenya more and more attracted to her father's family history and culture. She found it so gentle and kind how the Velaryons would say they were born from the sea and when they will die they will return to the sea.

Well, that was before she was standing in Driftmark, with her family, watching how her aunt's coffin was pushed into the water. Visenya was holding her father's hand, squeezing it from time to time in reassurance. She was still wondering about his words and wanted to ask him if it was actually true, but the little girl knew this wasn't the right place, nor time to ask such important questions. With the moving from Kingslanding to Dragonstone, to finding out about Laena's death, Visenya felt like walking on glass shards approaching any kind of subject to discuss with her father.

Baelon watched from the side, with his family, how Visenya was trying to comfort her father, and along with that her brothers. It didn't pass a long time since the news of Ser Harwin's and Ser Lyonel's deaths circulated around the Realm. Even if Visenya never told him anything about the boys's parentage, Baelon knew the girl well enough to see the way she looked at the commander. However, due to the death of Lyonel, his grandfather, Otto Hightower, returned in the position as the Hand of the King. The boy didn't have a lot of memories with his grandfather, but something about Otto was telling him to always stay alert. 

As everybody walked away from the funeral, Visenya felt her father letting her go and losing himself in the crowd. She wanted to follow him, so, without anyone knowing, she sis as she wanted. Marching away from the mansion, away from the crowd full of people, the little girl followed her father. It wasn't something out of character for Visenya to follow Laenor. In fact, that was how she found out her father was having a lover in the first place.

She hid behind stones, watching from afar as her father suddenly stopped, looking in the direction of the sea. Visenya watched him taking small steps in the water and just as the cold sea reached his knees she started to worry about his intentions. Until he fell to his knees and the girl noticed drops of tears rolling down his cheeks. 

Visenya could only imagine the pain her father was going through. Only the thought of something happening to Jace, Luke or Joffrey was enough to tear the little girl's heart apart. She turned around and made her way towards the mansion where the feast was going to be hold. 

Once she climbed the stairs she received a lot of looks, but she just made her way towards her grandfather, Corlys Velaryon, who was talking with Luke. "Grandsire." Visenya said bowing as she got next to the two. "I present my deepest apologies. Aunt Laena's passing is truly a tragedy to the Realm." Visenya said as she looked at her grandfather.