Mistlefoe

The power is back on! Jaskier leaps out of bed the moment he hears the study thrum of the furnace kick in. And it stopped snowing! No more shivering, no more cold showers, just warmth and blissful internet access. It's a Christmas Eve miracle. He plugs his phone in to charge, satisfied by the little green light that flicks on indicating it'll be at full battery in about an hour, then practically skips down to the kitchen.

Geralt is nowhere to be seen and is probably still sleeping, so Jaskier takes it upon himself to make breakfast. It is, after all, the least he could do after everything that Geralt has done for him. He checks the fridge and finds it mostly empty, leaving him with limited options. Eventually, Jaskier decides on french toast and scrambled eggs because even he can't mess that up.

Geralt emerges just as he's finishing up, looking tired and extremely cuddly in a knitted black sweater and sweatpants. "Jask?" he asks, voice still rough from sleep, "Did you make breakfast?"

"I did indeed," Jaskier declares brightly, setting a plate out for the other man. "French toast and eggs."

Geralt sits down at the table, eyeing the food in front of him. "You didn't have to do that."

Jaskier smiles, taking the seat across from him. "I wanted to. No eat up, my dear lumberjack."

The memory of last night plays in Jaskier's head as he eats. Did he just imagine things? Or did Geralt actually consider kissing him. Will he try it again? Or now with the power back is the spell finally broken? Of course he knew this was always temporary, yet part of him still aches at the thought of leaving. What if he and Geralt are only friends during the storm, and now that it's over their relationship will go back to grunting and one word answers? Because the storm ending means that Jaskier will have to go back to his house, back to the reality where he's spending Christmas alone instead of pretending that he's... whatever this is with Geralt.

"So," Geralt says as they eat. "The power's back on. Looks like the snow plow came through as well."

"Yeah," Jaskier replies, feeling rather hollow. "I suppose I should head home after breakfast."

"Yes, it would be best if you pack some more clothes."

Jaskier blinks. "Uh, what?"

"For the farm," Geralt says as if it was obvious, "we'll be there until New Year's, so make sure you pack enough for the trip."

Is he missing something here? "Since when am I going to the farm?"

"Since I decided you are," Geralt replies. "I'm not letting you spend Christmas all alone."

"Geralt, you really don't need to do that."

"I want to," the man says firmly. "And besides, it's not like you're doing anything else. So you're coming. This is non-negotiable." He pauses, then adds, "er, if you want to, that is."

"Of course I want to," Jaskier says quickly, "I just don't want to impose--"

"You're not. Eskel and Lambert would be happy to have you there, and Dad always makes way too much food anyway. Plus the farmhouse has three guest bedrooms so there's more than enough room."

Jaskier ponders this for a moment. Hmmm. Sad macaroni Christmas or Christmas with Geralt? The decision is easy.

"Alright, I'll come."

And that is how Jaskier finds himself crammed into the passenger seat of Geralt's Toyota corolla, singing along to the Christmas songs on the radio as they zoom through the countryside. Geralt even joins in for a few of them, though he hums or whistles rather than actually singing. The drive to the farm is just over four hours and is full of snow dusted trees and rolling fields. While the storm did cause a lot of headache for the two of them, Jaskier can't deny that it created a very beautiful landscape. They make a few stops on the way, one to get apple cider and a pecan pie from a little farmer's market stand they find on the side of the road, and the second because Jaskier sees a family of deer and wants to get a closer look. They also make a brief detour at the rest stop McDonald's because it's the only place open on Christmas Eve to grab some lunch and use the bathroom.