Chapter 8: Little Kitty Emerges

My level of relaxation was at an all-time high. Every day followed a similar schedule, I woke up and lazed through class, worked really hard in my store, and then chilled in my dorm until it was time for bed.

I occasionally tutored my classmates and spent time in the mall with friends like Hirata, but aside from this nothing eventful really happened.

That was until one cold, rainy, and windy night. I saw in the corner of my eye a little gray furball.

At first it looked like a pillowcase was dropped on the ground, but the more I looked at it the more alive it was.

I walked over to it and picked it up. What I saw was a young, gray, yellowed eye cat that was staring at me blankly.

The thing was soaked and shivering, not that you could tell by looking at its face. I checked my phone and it was 9:30, the administrative offices weren't open, so there was nowhere I could take it.

I guess my two options were to take it to my dorm or leave it here. I couldn't really call leaving a cat to freeze to death humane, so I decided on taking it to my dorm for tonight.

I held it to my chest under my umbrella to warm it up and shelter it, and this cat simply accepted the treatment without much of a reaction.

When I got back to my dorm I got to work making a makeshift litter box, I gave it some food, and set out a bowl of water.

The cat ate the food and drank the water in mere minutes only to stare at me and demand some more. I complied and this time it laid down after finishing. I never had a cat before and therefore I was really interested in the creature. I stared at a while, everything from its breathing patterns, its micro-movements, its reaction to different stimuli interested me.

I spent most of the night watching the cat and before I knew it school time came. I was very tired in class and the person sitting next to me noticed that.

"Ayanokoji-Kun, why are you so tired?"

"Don't worry about it." I responded hoping to deter her from prodding more into the odd situation I found myself in.

"You do realize midterms are tomorrow right?"

"Yeah, don't worry I was up late studying last night."

"Why didn't you just say that?"

"Because I didn't think it was necessary."

"No, it's because its a lie."

She caught me, well it's not like something like that would be hard to see through. I don't really come off to her as the type that would study all night.

She left the conversation at that until the end of the school day. Upon the final bell occurring she came up to me and demanded I come with her.

"I've got to open up the shop, we have a pre-midterm sale."

"Just come with me."

I was reluctant, but the look she shot me made it clear that I was not welcome to refuse. So I followed along with the condition that I will be on time for opening the store. Unfortunately, Hiyori was not able to make it today due to a group study session she was partaking in.

We arrived at a convenience store where she grabbed a few items including a take-home meal, an energy drink, a snack, and a five count of melatonin. After buying these items she handed them to me and said.

"Ayanokoji-Kun, I'm not sure if you are stressed about something or what, but here is what I want you to do: go home, study, eat, and sleep well tonight... I had Hiyori-san teach me everything I needed to know about running the store when you are gone in case of a time like this."

She spoke with the same harsh tone as before, however, her words definitely seemed kinder. If she heard me say this she would probably be upset though.

I can see why she might upset people considering how harshly she speaks, however, she is obviously just trying to be dependable in her own way.

While she may have been off on her reasoning, her keen instincts for noticing when I needed help definitely saved my day, as she was one of the only people who I could trust outside of Hiyori to run the store.

I headed straight to my dorm and assessed the damage... or I guess the lack thereof. I fully expected a stray cat to make a mess of my room but it honestly looked better than when I left aside from the makeshift litter box.

While I was certainly impressed this did not change the reality of my situation, I needed to brainstorm ways of handling this situation. Trying to hide it is out of the question. I could go to the student council and ask for an exception, but without leverage, there is no way they will grant one.

This leaves me with the last option of holding out while I make a plan. I was lost in thought for a while when I heard a knock on the door. I immediately hid the cat, I was going to restrain it but it actually walked further into cover as if it knew what I was trying to do. I hid the litter box, food bowl, and everything I had set up inside of my closet, then I opened the door.

Outside stood a loli.

"Hello Ayanokoji-kun, she said."

"Im busy."

"Lies, you have no friends to be busy with.... Unless Kiyotaka got a mistress?"

"Stop saying absurd things and tell me why you are here."

"Nyan..." she responded in a cute high pitched voice.

Wtf?