I knocked on Harrison’s door and then stepped in and dropped a folder on his desk, “I checked our backup oxygen tanks, we’re going to need to put in an order for three more. I filled out the form, but it needs your bossman signature.”

“Shit,” he ran his hand through his hair, “I’ve been meaning to do that for months now.”

“Well, now it is done and off your to-do list.”

“Keep this up and I may never let you back full-time in the field,” he chuckled.

“Or…you could just hire a station manager. Weren’t you supposed to do that before I got hurt?”

Harrison leaned back in his chair and grinned, “Yeah, but it was even lower on the to-do list than the backup tanks. Maybe you can start pulling resumes from the county and set up some interviews.”

I shook my head, “I’m not your bitch, Harrison. Just a man bidding his time to get back to work.”

“I know, I know, but while you’re free, you might as well make yourself useful, yeah?”

“I fucking hate you,” I turned around the walk away, listening to his laugh echo through the hallway. Tomorrow morning I was be pulling resumes for a station manager, just like he knew I would. 

There was an extra excitement coursing through my body as I drove home. I sent Elizabeth a text and she said they were at her place and working on dinner. I pulled into my spot in the complex parking lot and sat there for a moment. It just hit me that I was coming home to a woman making me dinner and kids anxiously awaiting my return. These were the things Brandi and I would talk about when she was pregnant with Katie. I never got the chance to experience those dreams. My heart ached for the past that didn’t go the way I had planned, but I also knew that Elizabeth gave me a chance at a future I didn’t think I would get. It wasn’t until I met her that I finally thought that maybe Brandi would want these happy moments for me. I know if I was the one who died too soon I would want her to find love again. 

Elizabeth and I had exchanged keys, so I didn’t knock when I got to her door, I just let myself in. While I wasn’t expecting a hero’s welcome, what I got was the furthest thing from a welcome home.

“I don’t want you to go, it isn’t the same!” Eva was in the hallway yelling at Elizabeth. She was attempting to drain the pasta, but also give her daughter needed attention.

“I know it isn’t the same, Eva. I’m sorry.” 

“This is why I wanted a grandpa. Why did you have to take him away from me?” The words went right for Elizabeth’s heart. I had no idea what they were fighting about, but Eva had just finished off this round with a kill shot. She marched down the hallway and slammed her bedroom door.

I stood in the entryway confused and speechless. Katie was sitting at the kitchen table with her school folder on the table. There was a second one open in front of where Eva must have been sitting. She was in shock, the same as I was. She had to have heard the entire argument though. 

“I’m so sorry about that,” Elizabeth wiped away her tears and finished putting the pasta back on the stove. “Welcome home, I guess,” she gave me a sad smile.

“Hey, do I want to know what is going on?” I went to Katie first, kissing her on the cheek, and then did the same to Elizabeth.

“It’s nothing, Dalton. Just…it’s fine.”

“She’s mad about this,” Katie handed me a pink piece of paper.

“What’s this?” I asked while starting to read through it.

“Nothing we haven’t dealt with before. The school is hosting a Daddy/Daughter dance for Valentine’s Day and well…”

“She doesn’t have a Daddy,” I finished the statement for Elizabeth.

“Yep,” she sighed. “This won’t be the first time we’ve had to navigate “Dad” events without a dad. I just wish that schools would stop doing these types of events. Everybody has such a different family dynamic, you know?”

I put my arm around Katie, “Yeah, we know. Even in a small town, we’ve had our fair share of times that people needed to be reminded that there isn’t always a mom at home to do things.”

“Daddy, why don’t you take Eva? If we’re all going to be a family, aren’t you going to be like her dad kind of?”

Elizabeth and I share a look, we haven’t really talked about titles around the girls. Even when we move in together, I don’t expect Eva to call me her dad, I’m just Dalton. Elizabeth has always been sensitive to Katie’s feelings, knowing that Brandi will always be her mom. “Do you think I’d be overstepping here, Elizabeth?”

She wrapped her arms around my waist and leaned into my chest, “I don’t know, Dalton. I guess it is worth asking her. It can’t get much worse.”

“And Katie,” I look at my daughter, “You would be okay if I took the both of you?”

“Of course, Dad! Wait until she sees you do the chicken dance!”

A cackling laugh came from the woman in my arms, “Oh, I have to see this.”

“Sorry, babe. I only chicken dance on special occasions.”