C h a p t e r T w o

"Wake up dearie~" Called a sing-song voice from outside Usagi's 'room', but there was no answer. A woman opened the door, her skin was a pale pink, her hair grey. She wore a purple tailcoat and a lighter purple pencil skirt, Big Mama.

"Yuichi, darling you can't possibly be hiding now, you've got a performance in ten!" She crooned, stepping into the room. Just then, a flash of blue and white passed behind her, out of the door, but she didn't notice.

Usagi had been planning this for a week now, he'd escaped at the only time his door was opened, right before his morning match. He never expected to make it as far as he had, but he continued down the hall, making a beeline for the elevator.

He needed to go topside, he hated this idea, but if he wanted to get away from Big Mama, he needed to lay low for a bit. Topside was his best option.

Usagi entered the elevator, tugging at his ears nervously as it ascended, finally reaching the first floor. As it opened, he bolted out, ignoring the yelling bellhops as he burst through the front doors.
His ears. He couldn't be out around humans looking like this! He glanced around, seeing a bellhop fast asleep at the door. Convenient. He took the working yokai's cloaking brooch and put it on. It was a simple metal ring, obvious enough for a yokai, but to the human eye, you'd never be able to tell that he was cloaked.

Usagi heard yelling from inside the hotel, and saw a blur of black and green just inside, she was after him now. He ducked into an alley and let his figure melt into the shadows as he heard the doors slam open, Big Mama's screeching voice sending her fury over all of New York.

He creeped out of the alley, inching his way farther and farther away from the hotel. When he felt a safe distance from the building, he sprinted. He didn't know where he was running, and he didn't know if he'd ever be able to stop, but he needed to run, to get as far away from Big Mama and her gladiatorial battles as possible.

"Hey!" Usagi heard a voice call out to him, he stopped running suddenly, nearly falling forward as he did so. He turned to see a small bellhop, holding-
"Edgewing..." He mumbled, how could he forget? The bellhop stepped forward cautiously, holding the sword out towards Usagi.

"Take it." The bellhop said, and Usagi took Edgewing without hesitation, attaching its sheathe to his belt quickly and looking at the bellhop with both disdain and gratefulness.

"Thank you," Usagi said, turning quickly on his heel and continuing his sprint.

_________________________________________

"You gave him the katana." Big Mama said in a smooth tone, the small bellhop huffing beside her, having just run back to the hotel. He nodded, looking up at Big Mama hesitantly.

"Good, we'll let him have his freedom for the time being, I'm curious who he'll meet on the topside.