008

▔▔▔▔▔
first person
2018, Wakanda

Two truths and a lie was always something I thought of  as a dumb game. I mean how much fun could it be to make something up about your life and have someone else figure out if it's fake or not? Not to mention anyone could lie about their supposed "truths." But who was I to judge and make fun of this game when my life imitated it.

It had to be fun for others. Watching me panic and struggle to choose who to trust. If everyone I've ever known has only lied to me, how was I supposed to pick apart the truth from their detailed but fake stories. Everything I'd ever been told about my life only blended and molded together, leaving me to figure things out on my own.

Alone was something people always assumed I was but in reality I had never known the peace of being alone. My thoughts swallowed the silence, following me wherever I went. It was never truly quiet. There was always something to think about, always something to wonder. Or maybe, I was getting laughed at in my own head. Words I had never said, but had thought. Was everyone lying? How could I not be able to tell my own story? Why could I not depict for myself what the lie was? Because the two truths were covering it up. Or were those lies too?

It must be fun for them to watch. Dreykov, and anyone else who says it was my fault. Watch as I dance around the thought that I can never quite catch, that I can never get out. They get to laugh while I'm stressed. Well, I'm glad they feel entertained from my pain. The pain that they created, and I hope it comes back to bite them in the ass. I'll finally be able to ask how it feels to be controlled. To be blamed. But while I wait for that time that never comes, they feel no shame.

I know it has to be fun for them to watch. They watch while I wait. My insanity becomes their masterpiece, painted with a bloody brush. Built on broken trust and tears while I faced the reality that my cries would never reach their deaf ears. They'd never know my pain. I had to learn to be okay. On my own and alone, though I was never really alone.

These are the thoughts that presented themselves in the forefront of my mind while I stood in front of the rhino enclosure. The slow breeze causing branches to sway and leaves to rustle. Again, I couldn't sleep. It seems even with my powers keeping my child-like nightmares away I would still have a hard time getting some rest, especially with all the new information I had to take in. But I wouldn't say that I mind. In my time here, I had learned that Wakanda was just as busy as, if not more than Queens. The only time it was really quiet was at night, and even then, if you went deep enough into the city you could hear low whispers. I smiled when a familiar rhino walked up to the fence, greeting me.

I think he had taken a liken to me. I didn't even know his name, but he was big. Not bigger than most of the rhinos but big enough to scare someone off. He had a large long scar going across his eye that only made me wonder more about him.

"He likes you." Okoye spoke up, coming to stand beside me. She attempted to make her presence known, not knowing I knew about her being here since she arrived. Having my powers back meant sensing movement in the shadows. But I would not shatter her pride in her discreet skills by telling her. Not yet, at least. "He doesn't like many people."

"You could assume why." I muttered, reaching my hand out to run across the scar. The animal made a noise I could only describe as a painful one, a relatable one.

"Your father, he was like a brother to me. He was a good role model, always nice to the children. Hardworking-" I could tell she was trying to give some source of comfort. But this wasn't something I was used to, neither was it something I wanted to get used to. I don't need to hear about someone who's gone.

"Okoye," I stopped her ramble. "Thank you, I appreciate what you're trying to do, really but- this is just another shit situation I have to deal with. You can sing his praises all you want, but it'll never give me back what I lost. No matter how much I learn about him he will always be a stranger to me." I said, realizing how fast this night got even darker than it already was. I don't think I can help it, though.